Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beckyj1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Daughter won't leave her mother's house
    My grandmother owns a house in California. Her daughter moved in with her about 4 years ago, supposedly to help take care of her. She was not paying rent or any other bills. About 18 months ago, my grandmother kicked her out because she was not helping and was stealing, but all the daughter's stuff was still in the house. My grandmother came to stay with us for a few days, and during that time, her daughter broke in and stayed in the house with her boyfriend. The police were called when we took grandmother home. A couple months later my grandmother had a stroke and was committed to a nursing home. As soon as that happened, the daughter broke in again. My brother is the POA for my grandmother and allowed the daughter to stay in the house free-of-charge. He pays all of the utilities, taxes, etc. Now he needs to sell the house to pay for my grandmother's care, but the daughter refuses to leave. She thinks she has rights to stay in the house, but we have pretty well established that she does not meet the requirements for adverse possession or an easement. What are our options to get her out? Do we have to go through a formal eviction process?

Thanks for any help!
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Jan 13, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckyj1
    My grandmother owns a house in California. Her daughter moved in with her about 4 years ago, supposedly to help take care of her. She was not paying rent or any other bills. About 18 months ago, my grandmother kicked her out because she was not helping and was stealing, but all the daughter's stuff was still in the house. My grandmother came to stay with us for a few days, and during that time, her daughter broke in and stayed in the house with her boyfriend. The police were called when we took grandmother home. A couple months later my grandmother had a stroke and was committed to a nursing home. As soon as that happened, the daughter broke in again. My brother is the POA for my grandmother and allowed the daughter to stay in the house free-of-charge. He pays all of the utilities, taxes, etc. Now he needs to sell the house to pay for my grandmother's care, but the daughter refuses to leave. She thinks she has rights to stay in the house, but we have pretty well established that she does not meet the requirements for adverse possession or an easement. What are our options to get her out? Do we have to go through a formal eviction process?

Thanks for any help!
    Because grandma and poa let her stay regardless of rent payments or other types of re-imbursements, eviction proceedings will need to be filed. My mother in response to me not giving her the paychecks she wanted tried to have the police remove me (just before I was to walk down the aisle to get married) they stated because she let me live with her (and I was paying board) she needed to file eviction papers on me. Needless to say I and my paychecks moved out with in the hour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My house guest won't leave [ 3 Answers ]

I invited my friend of 10 + years and her daughter to move in with me while she find a job and a house (she was evicted from her apartment). A year + later, she still at my house without no job. I asked her to leave 7 months ago, and she still has not moved out. I just sent her a certified letter...

When can I take my baby and leave my parents house [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm 16 years old and have a 5 month old baby... my parents are trying to control everything I do they won't let me raise my kid they are trying to take over... when can I legally move out so I can raise my baby myself with the help of the daddy??

Girlfriend won't leave my house, wants on the deed [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house for the purpose to move in with my fiancé and her four kids. We are now breaking up! She refuses to leave, or pay rent. The Morg is 4300 a month. She pays me 1200 a month for the last year. We have no written agreement. The house is 100% in my name, and she writes the checks to me....

How do I leave my daughter to get on with her life [ 4 Answers ]

My daughteris 19, studying music, which she says she loves at university, she is still living at home. She is unmotivated and does hardly any uni work. She should be in her 2nd year but is having to repeat part of the first due to not passing sufficient modules. I worry so much that she...

The stray cat under my house won't leave [ 5 Answers ]

I had some work done to my house recently and one of the contracters left the side entrance that goes underneath my house open. I now have a cat under there that refuses to leave. We re-opened the side entrance and even the small vent under the house to give him/her the opportunity to get out but...

View more questions Search