Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Toyota recall
    2001 tundra recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody know what is suppose to be covered under the recall notification? My toyota dealer said they are going to replace the A frame on my 2001 tundra. Is there anything else (bolts/parts/connections/ reinstalled old parts)that might be compremised during this major procedure? I appreciate any feedback asp.. trying this site out for quick info too. Tia,
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2011, 05:13 PM

I guess they're doing the whole frame, eh? I've seen the rot on some of you northern trucks and it's pretty bad. Right around the spare tire area?
    I just got my notice too. Did you read the whole thing word for word?
    Believe me, Toyota will take care of you. Your truck will be right and whatever it needs in the process, it's covered.

Jan 13, 2011, 07:30 PM
    Cool! I know I seen the bolts and a lot of corrosion , I already replaced the tie-rods with oem parts I purchased online because toyota said they are not included in the recall. I verified this with a representative online and by phone with toyota. I'm just not sure how they intended to use new bolts and washers reistalling existing rotted components not covered under the recall notification. But as long as they make it safe for driving, I guess anything is better than what is is now.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 08:41 AM

Normally, if a component is damaged or rendered unservicable due to a "covered" component, that component will be covered as well.
    Your contact at Toyota will be able to explain better. Like kitch said, they will take care of you.

Jan 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
    Rich, The garage manager stated that certain components will not be covered under the recall.. like I said, after they did the evaluation, the garage manager at toyota pointed out to me the rotted away tierods were not covered and neither the drive train which is about as rusted as the A frame that is under recall. I thought at first that they would replace any component linked to the chas but I verified this about the other metal rusted components with toyota online. I just hope they do a good job knowing the rusted linkaged components that are visible.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 08:28 AM

Jon, I know many areas up north use massive amounts of salted sand to clear the icy roads in the winter, but I wonder, have you thought of thoroughly rinsing your truck after exposure to such harsh conditions? I know it's tedious but necessary...
    Also, when you say that the components are "rotted away," are they structurally corroded or is mostly surface corrosion which is very likely.
    I've lived and worked as a tech in New Hampshire so I literally have working knowledge of the terrible state some cars can achieve during their life on those roads. One car that my late wife bought new in Denver in 1978 was fine until we moved to NH in about '84 but when the sub-frame rusted by about '87 or '88, it was time to retire the old faithful. And that car was even undercoated!
    We sacrifice living there in those conditions and often our vehicle's take the brunt. I'm in Florida so now I'm contending with far more salt air but it lasts all year!

Jan 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
    Rich, upon inspection with the toyota service manager, I was told the recall part will take several weeks ordering from toyota to the dealers garage where I purchased the 2001 tundra brand new. My point is that upon discussing this with the service manager about the existing rotted tierods we examined and verified needing replacement, he said those parts were not covered under the recall notification letter. After that, I called toyota online and explained this and was contacted by an agent with my case complaint number.. she than said only the "cross member" would be covered under the recall notification and any other parts attached to the crossmember "A Frame" will be replaced at additional costs to me. If I am understanding this all wrong , I will find out in a week because it is going in the shop today. It cost me about 65.00 for the oem tierods and I did them myself in about an hour. I wasn't going to drive around waiting for toyota recalled order parts /labor /etc. or questionable additional parts and labor fees associated with our conversation. I just hope they do a quality job in replacing and or reattaching existing components so as the truck is safe to drive. Thank you for sharing.. I will post back here with results, I like this site a lot because you members are very helpful and informative as well as honest which is very important to me. Later , John
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 01:39 PM

I'd like to see detailed pics of the tie rods, if you can. Just curious...
    Be sure you get the toe reset (Aligned) after replacing those tie rod ends. As little as an 1/8" of incorrect toe setting can cause aggrevated tire wear. When you have this done, the tech doing the alignment should thoroughly inpect your suspension before beginning. I wouldn't drive too far if you can't get it done or would rather wait till the other parts have been replaced.
    Talk to you later!
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2011, 03:55 PM

Interesting reading on this subject. Read on.

Reuters) - Auto parts manufacturer Dana Holding Corp (DAN.N) will pay $25 million to Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) as part of a settlement for Tacoma truck frames that rusted out and had to be covered by warranty.

Maumee, Ohio-based Dana sold the plants that manufactured the Tacoma frames as part of a March 2010 asset sale to Metalsa, a subsidiary of the privately held Mexican industrial group, Grupo Proeza.

The auto supplier said its payment to Toyota would result in a $25 million charge to fourth-quarter earnings. In 2008, Toyota was forced to extend the warranty terms for Tacoma trucks manufactured from 1995 to 2000.

In 2009, the Japanese automaker recalled about 110,000 Tundra pickup trucks in cold weather states because of the risk that exposure to road salt could cause corrosion on part of the frame. The frame on those trucks also was built by Dana.

Toyota was Dana's second-largest auto customer in 2009, the most-recent year for which data is available. Toyota accounted for up 6 percent of Dana's sales from continuing operations that year, topped only by Ford Motor Co (F.N) at 20 percent.

Dana supplies axles, driveshafts and aftermarket parts for autos, commercial trucks and heavy-duty construction equipment.
    The company said separately on Wednesday that it expected to post a 10 percent revenue gain in 2011, in line with the growth projected in its global markets.
    Preliminary results for 2010 showed Dana had revenue of $6.1 billion and income from continuing operations of about $115 million

Jan 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
    The stabilizing bars (or tierods linkages I was referring to) were rotted off.. meaning the rods on north sides were not linked and I was told these parts were not covered.. I wasn't going to wait seven weeks for the dealer service these with the entire order notification, nor was I going to pay for toyota to replace both rotted away stabilizer bars.. As for cleaning my tundra from the harsg salts.. I religiously hose spray my truck body/underside/wheelwells... The body has no rot.. but the aframe and all the chassie components are way too rusted even though I tried washing rinsing and all the usual upkeep. I remember my ford ranger rearend/drivetrain never rusted so prematurely.. as I stated, I am thankful it is being fixed at least to some extent to warrant the truck safe to commute. Just think if they neglected such rust proof undercoats or types of rustproof alloys etc.. Maybe they should fix anything linked to such faulty engineered materials.

Jan 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
    Captrich, toyota finished the recall and I noticed they replaced north front arm suspension assemblies. As well as everything they stated in the recall notification.They did say I needed a new ypipe exhaust gaskets and manafold gaskets.. I also asked them to put replace an os sensor I scan tooled and bought online for 60.00 the final tally was 700.00 not bad all considering.. the stabilzer linkages I put on a month ago remain so they figured they are new and didn't need to replace them. I noticed two things actually three things I will call them about tomorrow when I was driving the few miles from there to here. First the brake pedal has a lot of play (guessing it needs bleeding).. I did notice my driving wheel shutters and it never did this before this may in fact need wheel alighnment.. maybe they did not test drive it before telling me it is ready. Also noticed the timing belt is squeeking like never before too. Thanks for the heads up once again, jon

Jan 28, 2011, 02:48 PM
    Toyota did an excellent recall job , they fixed everything and more! Brakes are all done and so is the suspension & Alignment. Now I can feel better going to renew my inspection and more importantly feel safer on the road! Happy new year all ty again everybody! jon
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2011, 04:44 PM

Speaking of recall, I think I recall telling you that earlier.
    Seriously though, congrats on getting your truck back and satisfied about it.
    I try to please people as you are on a daily basis, but so many are so rude nowadays.
    We are not the enemy. We want to be your friend. Honestly!

Feb 5, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Kitch, thanks again and you take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recall recall recall please read [ 15 Answers ]

This book has some nasty errors on wiring. Many home owners use this kind of book to do wiring in there home and this is why I posted the warning. Asso see Gov web site for more info http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09078.html NEWS from CPSC U.S. Consumer Product Safety...

Trying to recall an old movie [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find an old movie that I vaguely remember, about a boy whom is taken by a taxi driver of some sort in a small town in the canyons or something who turns out to be an alien when the taxi starts taking off and flies into space where the boy is needed to help fight a battle because he...

Pistachio recall [ 2 Answers ]

FYI New recall as of March 30,2009 FDA says to avoid pistachios amid salmonella scare

Warranty or recall [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering if there is a recall or any kind of warranty on a Ducane Model MPGA075B3 Ser# 636608003B. I am having problems with the Flame rollout switch I have to reset it almost every time my heat kicks on and off. I was told it could have a crack in the heat exchanger. I just moved into...

Password Recall [ 5 Answers ]

On some occasions, when I type in a user name then go to enter a password, I get a message asking if I want to have Windows remember the password. If I do, then the next time I enter my user name and click on the password block, the password is automatically loaded. Question--is there a way to...

View more questions Search