Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momstears Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 07:27 PM
    Public VS Private School?
    Does anyone have anything important to say on this subject?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 07:28 PM

Like what?

Are you wanting to send your child to a private school?

More info into your situation is necessary for us to provide an adequate response.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 07:39 PM

There are really great public schools, there are really really bad ones.

There are various types of private schools, some better than others.

Did not mention, but home schooling is great for the right child, and the parents with the time and ability.

In the area where I live, would I send my child to public school, only if I had no other choice.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 05:11 PM

As the others have said, it depends greatly on where you live, and what schools are available to you. You will find excellent public schools and excellent private schools. You will also find some of both that are not up to par.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 07:17 PM

Can you tell us what your satisfaction level is or is not with the public schools in your area? You already pay for the public school whether you use it or not. A private school is going to running a whole lot more on top of that. In my locale a $10k tax bill is about 40% for different levels of public school, $4k. A private school can run$6 to $8k per year, for that money it better be 10x better than the public school but I am getting off your subject, wehta your level of satisfaction

Jan 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
    My grandson is going to a public school, w/low ratings/scores, in a poor neighborhood! His father lives in a much better neighborhood w/schools w/high scores/ratings! We are concerned that the child is not getting the best education possible. My son wanted his child to go to a private school and he was going to pay the tuition himself, but the mother refused, period! I am trying to get other peoples advice, etc.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2011, 05:11 PM

Ultimately, it will be up to his own parents to work out which school he attends. What were the mothers reasons for him not switching schools?

It's also important to keep in mind that scores only mean so much. I lived in a nice area and my school had won a bunch of awards and was supposed to be really great. Key words there are "was supposed to be." it was overrated. I did well, got good grades, straight A's actually. And yet I still had to take remedial classes in college because the education I had received wasn't really all the great at all. And the private school that I had attended for elementary and middle school had left me completely unprepared for high school. I had a lot of catching up to do freshman year.

Jan 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
    Comment on justcurious55's post
    The mother wanted him to attend this school because it was the closest to her house! Whatever is easiest for her is the way she wants it!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 05:27 PM

Public schools will usually have a school nurse, a counselor or two, social workers, special ed teachers and aides, etc, whereas a private school (in particular, a parochial school) may not be able to afford such things. On the other hand, a private school may have a wonderful corps of volunteers who keep the school humming in all sorts of ways, and the public school does not.

How far away is the private one? Would the boy have to live with his father if he went to the private school?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by momstears View Post
    My grandson is going to a public school, w/low ratings/scores, in a poor neighborhood! His father lives in a much better neighborhood w/schools w/high scores/ratings! We are concerned that the child is not getting the best education possible. My son wanted his child to go to a private school and he was going to pay the tuition himself, but the mother refused, period! I am trying to get other peoples advice, etc.!

Best not to base a school on ratings and low scores unless you know the reasons for them. It is vital to actually visit any school that is being considered. Are you able to sit in on a parent/teacher conference? Attend some of the PTA meetings? Volunteer to assist in a classroom? Those would give you some insight as to what the school is all about.

What goes on in the classrooms? What services are provided for underachieving students? There may be a percentage of students who are not meeting expectation for various reasons, but they are still achieving personal gains in their education.

Sometimes these schools have the most motivated teachers simply because of the fact that their students are needing substantial amounts of support. The students that are on level, or above, also receive the benefit of having additional support and programs.

How is your grandson doing at his current school? Does he receive the help he may need? Does he receive enrichment opportunities when necessary? Does he appear to be receiving an inadequate education? Does he have friends there from his neighborhood? Are there opportunities for parental involvement? Does your son take advantage of them? When you have visited the school, what has been your impression?

Sometimes higher rated schools really do not have to do as much because the majority of students already come in having had plenty of parental support for their education. A key factor many parents underestimate.

You can find it both ways as was mentioned. Find out the reasons for the lower ratings... it may simply be that one population of the school has not met expectation even if the others have done very well.

Feb 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
    Comment on DoulaLC's post
    My grandson has not been doing very well this year. He got several N's on his first progress report, which was a big surprise for us because the work is so easy for him. I feel that perhaps he may be bored and not challenged! The teacher says that he does not really join in with the class, this is also a red flag as this is not his character! He never has anything nice to say about school, last year was so different! The school is in a bad area and I have noticed that at recess there is not enough supervision, example: only 1 yard duty person for many classes combined. My son wants to get him out of this school soon if things do not change! Thank you for your input regarding this situation... please feel free to write again!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by momstears View Post
    My son wants to get him out of this school soon if things do not change!
    Hello mom:

Your sons issue is NOT with the school.. It's with the custody order. If he wants relief, the courthouse is the place to go... You don't really think either of you are going to change the ex's mind, do you?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private vs rights of the public [ 5 Answers ]

Along a scenic dr along a river. City owns the property and trees along this stretch and private owners cannot own this land They can have riparian rights and some do Private family which does not live along the river but on a side street off the river and least 3 houses west......

Home school vs. Public school? [ 53 Answers ]

My husband and I have decided to home school our children because we do not feel that the public education systems are very good these days. When we were in public school the teachers spent more time trying to control and disipline the class or individual students then they spent teaching. I also...

View more questions Search