Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jenesco Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 02:38 PM
    In what two ways can electrons be given electric potential energy?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2011, 09:31 PM

Be aware that we do not do your homework for you.

This said, have you studied the formulae concerning electric potential energy and done questions involving change in electric potential energy? If so, you already have one way.

Another way is 'more common' in the way that this is how static electricity is produced in everyday life. Can you think of anything?
    Jenesco Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 01:01 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    I barely understand what you said, I have forgotten all this stuff already.
    Sorry, I didn't get it all. But I really appreciate your time in answering my question.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 01:14 AM

I'll not give you the answer directly, but try to make to see it.

Take gravitational force. How can you increase the gravitational potential energy of an object?

When you pull a mass upwards, it gains gravitational potential energy and most of the time, this energy will be converted to kinetic energy and the mass falls down.

The same thing can happen with a charged particle. It experiences an increase in electric potential energy and most of the time, it moves and loses this energy.

Since there is motion, there must be a force, according to Newton's First Law of motion. So, the 'powered up' charged particle exerts a force somehow, and the force is linked to the electric potential energy. In what way can you increase that force?

One formula which can make you remember is:

Or

Anything you can think of?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation [ 0 Answers ]

What's the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Explain with the revelance, the importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy [ 1 Answers ]

Explain with the relevance, the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Regarding potential energy [ 1 Answers ]

The potential energy question-? The potential energy of a particle in a certain field is given by U=a/r^2 - b/r where a and b are +constants and r is the distance from the centre of the field. The distance of particle in the stable equilibrium position is- 1) a/b 2) -a/b 3) 2a/b 4) -2a/b

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Electrons in a uniform electric field [ 9 Answers ]

An electron travelling at a constant speed enters a uniform electric field at right angles to the field. While the electron is in the field it accelerates in a direction which is A in the same direction as the electric field. B in the opposite direction to the electric field. C in the same...

View more questions Search