Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clbwdb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 08:01 AM
    My rights to my Stepmother estate
    When my mother and father divorced my dad got the house. He remarried and was married for 16yrs. He passed away in 2009 and stepmother stayed in the house. She passed away 2010 and has 3 children. My question is do me and my brother have any rights to the house and land or the estate. There is no Will.
    clbwdb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Step child's rights if no will
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 09:14 AM

If the child was not adopted, he has no legal relationship with a step parent, so if a step parent dies, without a will, the step child has no right to the estate.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2011, 09:17 AM

You are not a blood relative of your stepmother's. You are not "entitled" to anything. Her natural children are "entitled" to inherit.

It can get a little more complicated - did your stepmother inherit the house when your father died? Did your father leave a will? Is your father's estate closed?

If everything passed to your stepmother it was hers to distribute as she saw fit - by will. If your father's estate has not been concluded you should consult with an Attorney familiar with State inheritance law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 09:32 AM

Ok, posts combined, so I need to re-address.

At the time of your dads death, did step mom get the deed to the house, was there a will, was she on the deed

If she become legally the owner of the house at your dad's death, you have no claim what so ever on her estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have an legal rights to my step-fathers' Estate if he has a will? [ 1 Answers ]

My mother married my stepfather when I was 4 and I am now 48. My mother had 3 children when she married my stepfather, and my stepfather had no biological children of his own, but he considered me & my siblings to be his children. My brother however did not live with my mother and stepfather, but...

California estate laws stepmother vs daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My Father just passed, He owned and ran a farm in Santa Rosa CA, In which I worked most of my teen years on into my late 20s. My mother died 15 years ago, and my father re-married 12 years ago. The property has been in his ownership for 28 years, 16 years before he remarried. My question is,...

Stepmother Rights to continue raises Stepson [ 5 Answers ]

My husband would like to know that upon his death, would I be able to legally continue to raise his son. His son is now 14, and the Mother has no custody rights at this time because of drug use and psychological issues. She has been out of the picture for quite a few years. What is the procedure if...

Rights to biological father's estate [ 3 Answers ]

My biological father recently passed, he and his family never formally acknowledged me as his daughter, although he has admitted it to me over the years. His wife was very active in church and community and considered me an embarrassment. He is extremely weathly, owned much of the town they lived...

Ded passed away, house now owned by stepmother, do I have any rights? [ 5 Answers ]

My father passed away 4 years ago, his will stated that his estate was to divided between me, my brother and my stepmother. Apparently the house automatically went to my stepmother (It wasn't mentioned in the will). My stepmother told me after that the agreement between her and my dad was that if...

View more questions Search