Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolvk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
    L1A and Resident Tax Implications
    Good day. I am currently in the process of organizing the logistics for an L1A visa for myself. I am Canadian and work for a Canadian software company that is the parent of a US based subsidiary and will be moving to oversee the US offices. The question I have relates to the tax implications of my change in residency. I have a house in Canada and many revenue properties and have heard that any sales of these properties would have to pay capital gains in the US if residency is established and that I would be better to dispose of them before moving. Can anyone speak to this?

Also, I am not sure I understand treaty tax status. I understand that I will have to file returns in both countries, but do I have to pay taxes twice? What about potential investment revenues in Canada while I'm a resident of the US?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 11:57 AM
    While living and working in the United States, you have to pay taxes ONLY on U.S.-sourced income if you file as a non-resident or dual-status return in 2011. If you file a Canadian return and report the U.S.-sourced income, you would claim a tax credit for the U.S. taxes paid on your Canadian return.

After 2011, you would file as a resident, paying taxes on all world-wide income. On those returns, you would claim a tax credit for taxes paid to Canada.

Yes, if you sell a capital asset while a U.S. resident, you would pay taxes on that sale, but at the reduced capital gains rate.
    dolvk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 01:20 AM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Thank for the information. This helps to clarify a few of my tax concerns. Are you an accountant?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT - H1B Tax Filing, Resident or Non-Resident and Implications [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Please help me, I am in a complex situation. Like so many H1-B visa holders, I was on OPT (F1) till Sep 30th 2009 and my H1 started from Oct 1st 2009 and I worked whole year for a single company but in two states. In what status do I have to file my taxes for 2009, is it Resident or...

L1A tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved to work in California since Jan21 08, I am holding L1A visa. Below are my questions: 1. I file my W4 form 3 points since jan 08, and I just got married a month ago, my husband is holding J1 visa, can he be as my dependent since he do not have income in U.S? Can I change W4 from 3 to...

1040NR for L1A Indian non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an Indian citizen, married with two kids on an L1A visa in the US (California) since July '06. I'm being paid by the US company I'm employed with since July '06. I've been in the States for less than 180 days in 2006, and will file my 2006 tax returns for Indian income in India. In 2006, I have...

L1A Visa and TAX [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I came to US on July 4th on L1A Visa - moved from Germany (though I am an Indian National). I am being paid by my Company's US office now with Salary in US $s. My wife and my 2 yr old joined me initially from Jul 13th for about 4 weeks - went back to Germany and finally joined me again from...

View more questions Search