Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Emachine new ram
    Hi... emachine t1742.. I had 128 ram... added a 256.. BOTH ARE 2700--333... 2 yrs ago and it ran fine... I just took them out and added 2---512----2100-266... and it don't boot up... I tried the old ran and nothing helps... it tries for 10 second to boot up and then shuts down... any help please...
    Thans you very much... richard
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 10:08 AM

THe new ram is a lot slower than the old ram... I bet that's an issue. And may be too slow for your machine. Without knowing the Front side bus speed of the motherboard I'm guessing it is.

EDIT... a Google search says it takes DDR-266 PC2100 ram. So that part SHOULD be fine.

What does the POST test say as its booting? Any errors, Try going into bios and see if its correctly seeing the memory.

Jan 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    the new ram is a lot slower than the old ram....i bet thats an issue. And may be too slow for your machine. Without knowing the front side bus speed of the motherboard i'm guessing it is.

Edit.....a google search says it takes ddr-266 pc2100 ram. So that part should be fine.

What does the post test say as its booting? Any errors, try going into bios and see if its correctly seeing the memory.
    It don't boot up so I don't see any messages... it don't boot up with the old ram either... after about 10 seconds it shuts down... thanks... richard
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 10:56 AM

Post test is what happens BEFORE windows starts... and starts the instant you turn on the computer. You see see part of it before you see the eMachines screen. YOu usually have to disable that in BIOS to see the full test.

But shutting back down in 10 seconds even with the old memory is telling me its possible that its new computer time.

Jan 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Post test is what happens BEFORE windows starts.....and starts the instant you turn on the computer. You see see part of it before you see the eMachines screen. YOu usually have to disable that in BIOS to see the full test.

But shutting back down in 10 seconds even with the old memory is telling me its possible that its new computer time.
    OK... thank you... but do you think... maybe by putting in new memory did anything? It was just fine before I did the new memory... thank you really for your time and answers...
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 11:57 AM

If you didn't ground yourself and the computer before you put it in... you could have damaged it with a static discharge. In the winter air tends to be dryer and it's a BIG problem because Electronics are VERY sensitive to that sort of thing.

To electronics... literally... and if you saw what happens with a scanning electron microscope... that little static zap you anoy kids with is exactly like a lightnig strike, on a miniature level. It causes much the same damage.

We call it Electro Static Discharge. Or ESD for short. There is an entire industry and process to avoid it. Inside a metal case its basically immune, but unplug it and open it up its very vulnerable.

Jan 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tableclocks View Post
    ok....thank you....but do you think...maybe by putting in new memory did anything? it was just fine befor i did the new memory...thank you realy for your time and answers...
    I know I may new a new one... any sujections on a brand? I won't need more them 2 to 4 ram... thanks... richard
    Or... anything to stay away from...
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 12:05 PM

But first. Turn it off but leave it plugged in... the dangerous voltagaes are INSIDE the power supply... though the mettal case THEN double check and make sure you didn't knock any cables loose. Make sure all are fully seated, then try again.

Typically I would NOT like someone probing around inside a case with the cord attached. But this is the best way to do it except at the kitchen counter next to the sink, UNPLUGGED, you can grab the sink then touch the case, that should eliminate any static charge and without any power present should be safe. Just have everything right there in reach. This assumes you have a stainless steel sink, if its not, grab the water faucet, it should be grounded. A single touch will do it, assuming you aren't walking around.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 12:17 PM

I'm not a fan of eMachines for a number of reasons. They work but I have my reasons that may not be valid for everyone's point of view.

You are in MD... if money is tight, Google up microcenter. You can get refurbished Dell, IBM or other computers for under $300. Personally I build my own machines from scratch.( what I do needs some power).. but have gotten refurbished dells for my wife and brother. Good cost effective. And they ship... depending on what part of MD you live, the store isn't far outside the beltway off RT 66. It's local and I've done a lot of business there over the years (17 years exact) They ship anywhere in the USA, and do have a lot of other stores. Just not local to you or me except for this one.

Its all a matter of money... a darn nice machine can be had for about $1,000 but that's overkill for most people. If all you do is surf the web and get email... anything faster than 2.4 ghz and at least 1 gig of ram will work... I'd preffer more ram, its not very expensive today. If it's a Windows XP machine running the 32 bit version (most are this) 4 gig is the most you can have, and it costs less than $100 today assuming the machine will accept that much, not all will. That would get you the most bang for the buck from the machine.

Playing games needs a machine that's expensive. No need to overspend if you don't have to.

What to stay away from? Unless you need a laptop... then avoid laptops... they cost more to fix if and when they break and really aren't upgradeable unlike desktops.

Jan 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
    I'm not a fan of eMachines for a number of reasons. They work but I have my reasons that may not be valid for everyones point of view.

You are in MD....if money is tight, google up microcenter. You can get refurbished Dell, IBM or other computers for under $300. Personally I build my own machines from scratch.( what I do needs some power)..but have gotten refurbished dells for my wife and brother. Good cost effective. And they ship....depending on what part of MD you live, the store isn't far outside the beltway off RT 66. It's local and I've done a lot of business there over the years (17 years exact) They ship anywhere in the USA, and do have a lot of other stores. Just not local to you or me except for this one.

Its all a matter of money....a darn nice machine can be had for about $1,000 but thats overkill for most people. If all you do is surf the web and get email.....anything faster than 2.4 ghz and at least 1 gig of ram will work....I'd preffer more ram, its not very expensive today. If its a Windows XP machine running the 32 bit version (most are this) 4 gig is the most you can have, and it costs less than $100 today assuming the machine will accept that much, not all will. That would get you the most bang for the buck from the machine.

Playing games needs a machine thats expensive. No need to overspend if you don't have to.

What to stay away from? Unless you need a laptop....then avoid laptops...they cost more to fix if and when they break and really aren't upgradeable unlike desktops.
    Thank.. I,ll look up microceter.. wallmart has a dell 2 ram 500 HD for 400.. 00... refubursher from micro may be better them a new one... all the bugs fixed... thank you very much for your time... richard
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 01:27 PM

I'd uprade the ram from what they have as a base... and I think if you order it you get that option... check it out if you can.

I'm a walk in customer there. I usually research onlne at their website before I go there.

It's a huge store. As large as some supermarkets. And bigger than some in fact.

Jan 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
    I'd uprade the ram from what they have as a base....and I think if you order it you get that option....check it out if you can.

I'm a walk in customer there. I usually research onlne at their website before I go there.

Its a huge store. As large as some supermarkets. And bigger than some in fact.
    Yea... 4 ram and 500 HD is like 600... good sales at best buys to... all about the same with in a few dollars.. given the same features.. tect is moveing soooo fast... I like the built in speakers now... my elvis music... thank you... richard...
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 05:29 AM

Just don't jump at anything, compare specs, prices and warranties... and be realistic what your needs really are and don't be tempted to overbuy.
    chong777 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 04:17 PM
    Comment on tableclocks's post
    What are the specs of the motherboard? Although it isn't much RAM many motherboards have a limit to the RAM they will take. Try just using one piece and see if that works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My emachine EL1331G-01w [ 7 Answers ]

I want to hook up two monitors but my EL1331G-01w emachine the vga isn't loaded on my sleek desktop

No sound on emachine T3120 [ 4 Answers ]

I keep finding an unknown multi media device and can assume this is the sounddrivers I tried searching the e machine site and couldn't find the drivers for the comp or even the model of the sound card( it has onboard audio)I really need the sound back on this computer especially since it is not my...

Emachine T2885 not getting any power [ 9 Answers ]

An Emachine T2885 was brought to me with what appeared to be a simple power supply problem. I was told the PC problem occurred after a massive power outage in town. The PC supposedly came back on when the power came back, then shut down and would not power up afterware. Emachine tech support...

Emachine T2885 won't power on [ 2 Answers ]

Replaced the PSU and battery. Checked connections. Got mixed up on location of power switch connectio to 9 pin connector on the mobo. Any help available?

View more questions Search