Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vetsoldiermed Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 11:05 PM
    Can my family legally evict me with a less then 30 day verbal notice?
    My family allowed me to move back in with them in January of 2010 after being out of the military since October 2010 well I've only worked two jobs since I have been out and it hasn't been easy finding work well they feel like I'm freeloading and told me I have till the end of January to find a new place to live or they will throw me out. Is there anyway to legally prevent them from throwing me out to prolong my time to find a suitable arrangement for new residence?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 09:58 AM

Hello vet:

They are required to give you a 30 day WRITTEN notice... If you don't leave, they start the eviction process, and that'll take another couple weeks.

excon
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 11:03 AM
    Was there any agreement for you to pay rent or make contributions to the household? Do you have a key to the front door? These kind of things make a difference as to whether you were a tenant or a guest. Your family has to notify you if you were a tenant... they can tell a guest to get out. Quite frankly though, if you have been "freeloading" as you say, I would not try to use tenancy laws against the people who have helped me.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 12:46 PM

It depends on the State - in NY (where I am) you are a resident once you put your head on a pillow in that house. Getting mail someplace, using an address on a driver's license, these things 100% make you a tenant and, therefore, agree with Excon. You would have to be evicted.

In NY at least (and I don't know where OP lives) you DON'T have to pay any expenses OR have a key in order to be a resident and/or tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would, they still legally have to give us a 30 day written Notice to vacate? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question, Currently an Organization known as C{Space was Leasing a downtown commercial space in Dayton Ohio. Our lease was recently up and have yet to renew it, because, both parties, where working on one that was suitable to each of us. However we continued to pay rent as usual. Now the...

Is a verbal 30 day notice recognized [ 2 Answers ]

On MAY 28th 2010 My roommate went into the office and spoke with the manager to see when our lease will be up she stated "30JUN I am running behind on my letters if I dont hear you than I expect you will be out 30JUN" 20Jun I receive a phone call the other lady says to me "I am drawing up your...

Do you have to legally evict family if there was no lease agreement? [ 3 Answers ]

I have siblings in the home that my mother and I are owner-co-owners on in the state of Missouri. My mother died in 1997 and left me as the sole owner responsible for the debt. I now live in Texas and from 1998-to the present, my dad when until his death, sisters and brother were paying the...

Can I terminate my lease legally with a 30 day notice [ 3 Answers ]

Our landlord has put us in a uncomfortable situation with our lease. She signs a new lease with us on July1st and calls 2 weeks later to tell us we need to do a short buy or she will find someone who can do it. We found another place and are moving in on the 15th of this month. We gave 30 day...

View more questions Search