Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandma215 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Hip replacement
    What are the symptoms someone might have for a Doctor to say someone needed hip replacement?
    cosmicjade26 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Osteoarthritis could be a reason for replacement or something like rheumatoid arthritis. Parkinson's disease, or conditions that result in severe muscle weakness so as to aid mobility can all be factors, maybe an injury that has weakend the bone structure, there could be any number of reasons.

I suggest asking the doctor who said it to get a clearer picture.
    grandma215 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Thanks for you reply. I have not seen a Doctor yet. I am just trying to figure out what kind of Doctor I need to go see and the reason for the pain. When I sit a while sometimes it hurts to stand and put weight on that hip. Also the last few days I can be walking (limping) with the pain and it will feel like it cramp for a second with severe pain. Is there danger of a break?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 13, 2007, 10:55 AM
    You might consider an orthopedic surgeon. They do all kinds of bone replacements from knees to hips.
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Jan 13, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma215
    What are the symptoms someone might have for a Doctor to say someone needed hip replacement?
    severe injury may require a hip replacement. But in my experience in most cases it had to do with severe pain related to arthritis. The joint's protective covering wears away and the bones rub together. Causing swelling and pain. Its hard to move or keep balance on the affected leg. See an orthopedic doctor for x-rays. Sometimes the doc could try a cortisone injection to relieve any discomfort. Sometimes it works but only temporary. The two of you can decide if surgery is needed. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hip Pain [ 3 Answers ]

I have been experiencing mild internal pain on right side around hip. My family Doc has done blood and other prelim tests including ultrasound and found nothing alarming. After 2 months it seems it is showing up again with constant pain increasing while coughing, changing position etc. Want to...

Hip Pain [ 9 Answers ]

:mad: I have hip pain and walk with a cane.My MD tells me I will need a operation. He told me to lose 50 pounds and have the operation next year. My problem is the pain medication no longer works.He tells me if he gives me anything stronger I would be addicted to drugs. I hope I can find can a...

Sore hip [ 8 Answers ]

Any folk remedies, home cures for a sore hip? It is almost certainly arthritic. I walk a lot and do Tai Chi, but it has definitely gotten sorer over last few weeks. Any ideas/diet suggestions on how to minimize discomfort/stop deterioration/heal? Thanks.

Hip problems [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any ideas how to help hip problems, besides hip replacement?

Hip Issues [ 2 Answers ]

My 1 1/2 year old Golden Retriever has developed a limp at night after lying down in the past three weeks. She shows no signs of pain and limps only for a few steps. She will stretch and seem to be fine. She does stairs easy and has no problems or hesitance standing on her hind legs to greet...

View more questions Search