Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deniselaw31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 05:22 AM
    Wrongful transfer of deed
    My aunt of 90 years old gave me a house. I became her power of attorney in April of 2009,which stated that I would assign the house temporarily to my son and it would be reassigned to me at my discretion. The deed was issued shortly in the end of 2009 in my son name because I was incontract with a house. My son agreed to do this temporarily beacause I have been supporting him. He is 22 years old. I finally closed on the house on 3/10 and now my son is refusing to sign back over the house. He is evicting my aunt and myself. Only to find out that a custodian trust was not done. My mother claims that she told the lawyer but states he cannot remember. The lawyer says that he remembers that a deed was drawn up for me to sign but doesn't remember anything else. What can we done to turn back the deed over.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 9, 2011, 08:00 AM
    What a mess. Interview a GOOD lawyer to see if it's worth the case and be an educated client.

I don't understand where your mother comes into the picture if you were the one arranging all this. Nor do I understand why you couldn't keep the house while under contract on another, unless you inherited debt. Nor do I understand what 'your son agreed.. because you have been supporting him' has to do with anything, unless you just assumed that he would feel indebted.

Too much information is second and third hand to know if you have recourse.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2011, 08:08 AM

Sounds to me like some shady things were going on if you had to temporarily assign ownership to someone else. But, unless you have some proof that the transfer was reversible at your discretion, its your son's house and he can do with it as he wishes.

Jan 10, 2011, 10:30 PM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Nothing shady was going on. I was already incontract with my house as a first time home buyer and could not have another home until I closed. I should have waited till I closed which was not until one year later.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 10:38 PM

So yes, it was a shady thing, you wanted to hide the fact you were getting another house, to get a first time home buyer credit, So you wanted to cheat on your taxes.

And it really does not matter what you intended, once the house is transferred to the son, and a new deed was issued to him, it is his house, there is no requirement unles there was one in writing, for him to sign it back over, he is not bound by the POA and there is really no "temp deed" Home needed to stay in original persons ownership till it could be given to you.

Next what happened to your other house, you were buying, if you are now being evicted out of this house.

Jan 10, 2011, 10:44 PM
    The other house my son lives in it and it is being rented out. Is the other house worth fighting for my aunt who still lives in it.

What proof would I need.

{Comments Merged-<>}

Jan 11, 2011, 04:28 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Being that my aunt is alive and in her right mind, is it worth fighting that she states her wishes. I was not present during the signing. She acknowledges that the lawyer was aware that the house was supposed to be temporary. Can we fight it ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2011, 05:46 AM

You can certainly fight it. Whether you would win or not is in question. If the POA actually states that he was to sign it back over to you, you might even win. Talk to the attorney about what your chances of winning are.

But I can tell you that it will probably come out in any hearing that you you were trying to fraudulently claim the first time buyer credit. It was obvious from just the little you originally told us that something shady was going on. If I were a judge hearing this case, I would report it to the IRS.

P.S. Please don't use the Comments feature for followups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deed Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that my dad financed with his personal line of credit. I have now moved and he wants to keep the house to rent it. The house is currently in my name so how do I get the deed transferred into his name so he can take the expenses off on his taxes? Thanks

Wrongful deed! Can I file an appeal? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! OK well, I just got a divorce but, I want to know something about filing an appeal. I want to file an appeal because I was awarded a mobile home and my ex was awarded the land that the home sits on. (which its free and clear! Paid in full) my ex convinced the judge that he was left the land by...

Wrongful Quick Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle, back in 2003, took my grandmother a "quick deed" property form and had her sign it over to him while she was suffering Dementia. Can he legally lay claim to that property (she had three separate estates) which she had wanted to originally be divided equally for her three children...

Deed Transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter's ex-spouse, as a stipulation in their marital settlement agreement, signed a quit claim deed which is being held in trust by her attorney. I, her father, have been paying the first and second mortgage payments in full for the last six months. She is not able to make the mortgage...

Wrongful deed transfer [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has his name as a co-owner on the house deed which has his paternal aunt as a co-owner too. The aunt has legally adopted him when he was a child. Her intention even behind adopting him was to loot money from his parents and have a secure financial future for her and her four children. ...

View more questions Search