Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NateO10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 08:58 PM
    Splitting ground wire from an outlet wall
    Can you split a ground wire from an outlet wall and use it as grounding for making a new outlet with hot and neutral wires from a different source? (like using the hot and neutral wires from the celing lights in the whole house, spliting them to make new outlet).

There is one hot & neutral line for each floors but all the floors uses one hot and neutral line for the all the lights in all the floors. Im planning of making an outlet by splitting the hot wire and neutral wire from the lights line but it doesn't have a ground wire.

If its possible would it be safe? If not, can I make a fuse or breaker box to make it work and safely.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 08:59 AM

No, the correct way is to run a new circuit (cable) from the service panel to the outlet.

You can also use a GFCI receptacle. You have to label the receptacle as not grounded if you just want to use the existing two wire circle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached [ 3 Answers ]

Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached to plastic pipe under the house, or does the pipe have to be in the ground ?

Ground on Outlet w/ Minimal or No Wall Damage [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, I have two prong outlets in my home (built around 1946). I have two outlets in the bedroom that need to be grounded. I have grounded a few other outlets in the house by running wire to a cold water pipe and a ground rod I installed. When I grounding those outlets, I ended up with quite...

Diy install ground wire for 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved to the dominican republic... my 2nd floor apartment has your typical 3 prong outlets... but no ground!(?). I hear this is normal down here. The apartment is make of cement blocks. Usually they build the walls then break them to install the wiring before cementing it flat. ...

250v outlet ground wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a house built in 1948. When I attempted to install my dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. A helpful post said that I could convert this outlet to 3 prong 240v. I have looked a little closer in the outlet and noticed there are two hots (red and black...

Connecting ground to 220v 3-wire outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to connect my bandsaw to an old-style 3-wire 220v dryer outlet (2 hot wires, 1 neutral). My bandsaw has no neutral wire. Do I connect the ground from the machine to the neutral socket?

View more questions Search