Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 10:17 PM

To me that was random, senseless mumbo jumbo...
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2011, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    They used to be locked up, but in the early '70s, it was decided that they too had rights, could be released from hospitals and other institutions, and be responsible for taking their medications. Keeping them locked up wasn't PC.

We've seen how well that has worked out -- increased drug use and traffic, homelessness, families at each other throats, theft, murder... .
    That began here in California under Governor Reagan. It was a cost cutting program to release the mentally ill onto the streets, where they have pretty much remained ever since. It was not a liberal idea but a conservative, anti-tax idea.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 03:22 AM

I monitored the blogs yesterday . Sarah Palin and the 'Tea Party' got the biggest number mentions
    The idiot Paul Krugman blamed the 'Tea Party' early in the afternoon well before any facts were established
    http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...pt-in-arizona/
    Mental health was 1st brought up here and appears to be the real story behind these murders .
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 03:54 AM

Christina Taylor Green a 9 year old girl newly elected to her school student council was gunned down by Loughner.
    She was born 9-11-01 and was featured in a book called 'Faces of Hope, Babies Born on 9/11 '.
    Amazon.com: Faces of Hope, Babies Born on 9/11 (9780757300974): Christine Naman: Books

Other victims murdered include as already mentioned U.S. District Judge John McCarthy Roll, who was appointed by President George H.W. Bush in 1991.He was leaving church and appears to be a random victim. Notable is the fact that he has been at the center of the illegal immigration controversy.

Gabe Zimmerman, an aide to Rep. Giffords.Zimmerman was engaged to be married.

Dorwin Stoddard, 76, a pastor at Mountain Ave. Church of Christ. His wife Mavanell was shot in the legs and is expected to survive.

Dorthy Murray, 76.

Phyllis Scheck, 79.

13 people were wounded including
    Gifford's deputy director Ron Barber ,and staffer, Pam Simon.
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 04:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    That began here in California under Governor Reagan. It was a cost cutting program to release the mentally ill onto the streets, where they have pretty much remained ever since. It was not a liberal idea but a conservative, anti-tax idea.
    Deinstitutionalisation is a movement that began early in the 20th century. If I was to place a political movement behind it(which I don't) ,I would have to point to the 'progressive" movement that began at the end of the 19th century.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    To me that was random, senseless mumbo jumbo....
    That is the thinking of many unmedicated schizophrenics.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    A nut job did it, plane and simple, a young nutjob.......did the Bush blaming start yet?
    Hello smoothy:

Nahhh... Bush didn't put crosshairs on her district... Sarah Palin did.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:25 AM

A Nexus search will show that is a common political metaphor that both sides and the press regularly employ.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    a Nexus search will show that is a common political metaphor that both sides and the press regularily employ.
    Hello again, tom:

So, two wrongs DO make a right... Look, if that excuses her, and makes you feel better, go for it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:33 AM

By the way . The Palin map in question did not use crosshairs. It had surveyor symbols which are commonly used to pinpoint locations on a map .
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 06:40 AM

Okay guys, this was neither the fault of Bush, Palin OR Obama. This was a case of unmedicated mental illness.

Let's not turn this into a political debate because that's not what it is. Let's stick to the OP.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:43 AM
    the Palin map in question did not use crosshairs. It had surveyor symbols which are commonly used to pinpoint locations on a map .
    Hello again, tom:

I'm SURE you're not the first right winger spin it this way. Look. I don't know IF using "surveryors" symbols, or Sharron Angle's remarks about using Second Amendment remedies, or Michelle Bachmans remarks about her supporters being "locked and loaded", causes nuts like these to take action... But, the thinking of the day is that it COULD!

Yet, people like you poo poo that, and say they're surveyor symbols... Who can blame Palin for using SURVEYOR symbols??

excon
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 06:46 AM

Let's stick to the original topic or this thread will be closed.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Let's not turn this into a political debate because that's not what it is. Let's stick to the OP.
    Hello J:

You're not suggesting that this ISN'T political, are you?? Well, you might be, and you'd be wrong..

excon
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 06:47 AM

No, I wouldn't be wrong. This is about mental illness. Now, let's get back on topic.
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:48 AM

Here is a Dem map in 2006 that actually uses targets
    DLC: Heartland Strategy by Will Marshall

Who published this map ? The Democrat Leadership Committee.
    But that map is no biggie and doesn't inspire deranged lunatics to attack politicians... and neither did Palin's map.
    This guy's politics from what I read is inconsistent ;or perhaps reminicent of the late 19th century anarchist movement .
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:50 AM

J-9 I posted this as an open OP . It turned into a mental illness one and that's OK. But I never intended it to be restricted to that.

Ex and I are not having a hostile discussion ;just a debate .
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello J:

You're not suggesting that this ISN'T political, are you??? Well, you might be, and you'd be wrong..

excon
    You know politics, I don't. I know mental illness, you don't.
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Ex and I are not having a hostile discussion ;just a debate .
    Then take it to another thread as this one is going severely off topic from the OP.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Let's stick to the original topic or this thread will be closed.
    Hello again, J:

If you were operating as a MOD, I wouldn't quibble... But, you are a right winger, and it upsets you to hear your favorite people blamed for this tragedy. I haven't even started on Glenn Beck...

I understand how you feel. I'd feel that way too. But, I WOULDN'T pretend that what you're threatening to do is because you're a mod. J, my friend, THIS is a time for you to recuse yourself as a mod.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SS rep payee [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm trying to find an agency in NYC that can serve as a representative payee for social security - the local SS office (as well as online) is useless! I don't know where to begin? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks much, H

View more questions Search