Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soluna Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
    HP Laserjet 5M hangs when printing from Windows
    I've got an HPLJ 5M printer that is now not printing from Windows. Here's what I've tried:
    1. Ensuring that the printer and computer are communicating - I created a little text file using notepad. I can print the file no problem from the DOS cmd line, but cannot print from windows.
    2. Have deleted the printer definition from windows and allowed the computer to recognize and reinstall.
    3. Have checked driver and ensured it's up-to-date.
    4. Have reset memory/io and restored factory defaults from the printer.
    5. Ensured that the printer self-test works.

The printer has been working for months. I tried printing from a website a couple of days ago and something happened. Now when I try sending a print job to the printer it just sits at "Processing job" and after a couple of minutes I get a windows error that the print job failed. I can clear the print queue by canceling the job in the printer status window but the printer stays with "processing job" until it's turned off.

Any ideas about what else I could try to fix this?

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Can you do a system restore to go back to before it stopped printing? If that doesn't work, try reinstalling Windows. Something in the interface between printers and Windows has gone out of whack. I suspect the same problem would occur if you tried a different printer.
    Soluna Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Hi Scott, Actually I've got a different printer hooked up right now and it's working fine. I've also hooked the HPLJ5 up to a different computer and it's doing the same thing (hanging when print from Windows). I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the printer... any other thoughts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp hangs frequently [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me... Windows xp keeps getting stuck after every few minutes. Whenever I open the task manager, it shows that a process called svchost.exe is utilizing 100% of my cpu process time. It normalizes if kept idle for some time but the problem reappears.

HP laserjet 1300 leaves marks on top left corner [ 2 Answers ]

HP laserjet 1300 The printer prints with a scratch on top left of every page. No problem with contents but leaves some stretch marks (as if it were jammed on that section only) every time. Any suggestion?

System hangs [ 2 Answers ]

The problem started yesterday when I open warcraft3.. the system hangs! I format my hdd,installed win xp pro service pack 1 thinking that will solved my problem.. but nothing happens,same problem occur when trying to play warcraft3.. I tried not to install the driver of my video card and it works!...

Windows XP Hangs or reboots [ 6 Answers ]

I had a Dell that had its motherboard burn out. I replaced it with a better and slightly different motherboard but one that supports all my other hardware. I installed all the existing hardware to the new motherboard and all started great except that when Windows XP attempted to load the computer...

Word 2000 hangs under Windows ME [ 2 Answers ]

When my friend tries to open a file in Word 2000 under Windows ME, "Requesting virus scan" appears and then the system hangs. Ctrl Alt Del gets rid of Word, but then nothing else will load. We just get "Sys dangerously low in resources" till we reboot.

View more questions Search