Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Giacomo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 10:33 AM
    US/Italy Tax Treaty -- H1B Exemption
    Hello,

I recently changed my status from F1 to H1B in January 2007. I have a post-doc position for the academic year 2006-07, started on September 2006 and renewable for two years. I haven't received tax refunds as an F1. My instiutution (Penn) now claims that I am not eligible for tax exemption because I didn't re-establish residency in Italy before changing immigration status, therefore they'll keep withholding taxes from my paycheck.

Can I claim a refund under art. 20 of the US/Italy tax treaty when I'll be filing my 2007 taxes?

Thanks,
    Giacomo
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Giacomo:

You are definitely NOT eligible for tax exempt status for 2007, because you changed to H-1B status. H-1B is a work visa, not a student visa, so the tax exemption no longer applies.
    Giacomo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Atlanta Tax Expert,

Thanks for the answer. However: my work as a post-doc at Penn consists in research and teaching, do I not fall under the provisions of art. 20 of the US/Italy tax treaty?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
    That became irrelevant when you switched to the H-1B visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

Indian tax treaty clause for H1B status ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have summarized my case below - Jan 2005 (31 days) - F1/OPT Feb 2005 through Dec 2005 - H1B I filed taxes using the 1040EZ form, where I could "not" avail of the Indian tax treaty clause. The calculation for my taxable income was:

Tax exemption for H1B visa [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a china citizen. But I got the US H1B visa stamp from non-tax treaty country-singapore because I work there. Am I under tax exemption because of china citizenship? Or not because my visa stamp is from singapore? Thanks

View more questions Search