Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2011, 02:35 PM
    Moonbat #1
    A recent controversy has arisen, Gerry Harvey a billionaire retialer wants to tax overseas transactions to improve competition
    Avalanche of criticism directed at Gerry Harvey of Harvey Norman
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
    And the question is?
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2011, 10:45 PM
    The questions are; should we support our local retailers with a taxation system on minor imports that costs more than it collects? Or should we see the internet as just a lost opportunity as far as taxation is concerned?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2011, 03:17 AM

In NY there is a line item on our tax forms to declare sales taxes we should've paid on net sales and when we drive over to New Jersey because their sales taxes are more reasonable.

I've heard reports of official NY cars spotted in NJ malls jotting down NY license plates.

What NY needs to realize is that they wouldn't have these issues if they weren't overtaxing their residents in the 1st place.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    What NY needs to realize is that they wouldn't have these issues if they weren't overtaxing their residents in the 1st place.
    That's a no-brainer, which is probably why they can't figure it out.
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    In NY there is a line item on our tax forms to declare sales taxes we should've paid on net sales and when we drive over to New Jersey because their sales taxes are more reasonable.
    I've heard of no brainers before but that is ridiculous. I have always looked at tax as catch me if you can, that is, it is up to the tax collector to close the loopholes not for me to point them out
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2011, 03:03 PM
    PA used to do the same thing in NJ. They would sit in the liquor stores and call the PA police when a PA car went back over the bridge to PA. It created a fabulous bootleg service, in which I gladly particpated, since I lived in NJ but worked in PA. I'd buy the booze, sell it for $2 more saving them tax and gas money, and make an easy $30 a day-in 1962-70. Put it in mutual funds and... OOPS maybe the Philadelphia police will track me down if I tell anymore!
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2011, 05:19 PM

Now Governor Christie points out the commuter traffic leaving for PA at the end of the day and accurately notes that the cars are carrying NJ State workers going home.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2011, 05:29 AM
    Just proves that borders are just lines on a map, must be something in the water over there, we wouldn't be concerned about interstate traffic here
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2011, 05:50 AM

That's going to change too.
    The growing use of Interstate Compacts will restore federalism to this country and reverse some of the impositions from the Levithian in DC .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search