Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALW1991 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 10:03 AM
    Auto accident
    I was in 2 auto accidents
    first one was not my fault the other driver was on there cell phone and was speeding through a parking lot and rear-ended my car I was in the middle of the isle backing into a spot I was not in motion even if I were to be in motion there would be no way I could have done anything to avoid her hitting me hence she ran into me, after she hit me I put the car in park and I got out to make sure not to move the cars and to make sure she was fine I asked 3x times if she was all 3x responses were yes, I told her if were done and no one is hurt I was going to go inside the store and continue with my day as I parked she parked next to me and started getting my plates so I stayed because she was up to something it turns out that the police came he wrote up an prop damage rep stating I backed into her which is false but being a teen this was my first accident so he pulled a fast one on me. We informed my insurance company about it they said the other party did not contact them, now in the second accident
    I hit an animal on a rainy day with no ABS I lost control no one was hurt but we went to the hospital to be sure I paid out of MY OWN pocket to fix my car my passenger was covered under PIP. The Maryland State Trooper Wrote on my accidnet report no fault for me.
    My insurance mailed a Premium Change as follows
    AT FAULT first accident no bodily damage, prop damage and collision 0$ being charged 1,923
    AT FAULT second accident no bodily damage, prop damage and collision 0$ being charged 1,025

so please someone help me understand what the hell is going on I can fight this under Maryland code.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 10:16 AM

You have no grounds to fight this - you were in two accidents and your insurance company is surcharging you for that reason. Insurance companies rate drivers based on many risk factors - age, marital status, residence - and you have been rated based on two accidents.

I'm not going to go into the circumstances of both accidents because you didn't ask about that. If you'd like more info, post the info on the accidents on the legal boards. (I'm a liability investigator, by the way.)

I was once surcharged because my car was hit in a parking lot - I wasn't in the car, it was legally parked, my insurance company assigned points anyway.

You can always write the company a letter, explaining your side of things, but it is not going to make a difference.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 10:20 AM

Try getting new insurance right now from anyone. Bet you can't.

On the second I'm surprised you were NOT charged with driving too fast for conditions... because you clearly were... the cop was being nice to you. ABS or not... you failed to maintain control of your vehicle. You would not have run off the road if you had. Anything smaller than a dear you should have been able to drive away from, anything a dog or smaller should have had little or no damage.

ABS would not have saved me in any accident I've been in... had the cars actually been equipped.

The first... unless you can present evidence to prove otherwise Incidentally depending on how much damage there was... the police can determine if you had your brakes on or had the car in reverse at the time of the accident just from looking at your car. Brake lights are only lit if you have foot on the brakes and the backup light is only lit when its in reverse. If the glass breaks when its lit... there is a fog over the remaining area... there is none if the bulb is broken when its off. And the bulb can blow out or the filament break from the impact even without breaking the glass.

Insurance adjusters are really good at detecting when people are being truthful and dishonest... they will examine the vehicles themselves before cutting any check... and they are good at their jobs.

People particularly young drivers are quick to dream excuses up after they find out what its going to cost them.

That's not a personal swipe at you, that's what most young people do, and more than a reasonible share of older ones too.

Adjusters know how to cut the crap so to say... not saying they never get something wrong... because once in a while they do... but its an uphill battle to prove otherwise... and legal costs will be high. Far higher than your insurance increase.

Also... being a young driver with little experience... and if you are a teen you have little experience, When you exceed 1 million miles driven like me then you can state otherwise.

Just being IN an accident can get you an increase... at fault or not... because not avoiding an accident you can see coming is almost as bad as causing one. That's something else you will eventually understand.

May as well suck it up... trust me... because I've been there myself. But those increases aren't permanent, and they will eventually go away.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 11:15 AM

Yes, when you have accidents insurance companies raise your rates. Welcome to the adult world. Not fair but that is life and how it works.

1. if you were backing, and in motion, by law on the first accident you could be held at least partially liable

Not sure if the officer gave you a ticket or not,

On hitting the animal, actually if you could find out who owned it ( assuming a cat or dog) they may be held liable for damages.

To address your question, you can go to your agent and appeal the rate increase. The hitting the animal will most likely still go against the insurance, The issue there was if you lose control you were going too fact for conditions,and it is your fault, the officer was actually wrong,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident [ 20 Answers ]

Last month my husband and I were involved in an auto accident. We were following a car who at the LAST minute tried to move into the lane to our left which was the left hand turn lane. Because she did this so late, she was not able to get all of the way into the turn lane and was therefore across...

Auto accident [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I were rear ended last month. I was 19 weeks pregnant and had to go to the hospital to get monitored. The car had little damage that the other guys insurance covered along with a rental car. We spent most of the weekend back and forth at the hospital because the baby wasn't moving...

Please help: Auto accident [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, In 2005, I met with an accident while coming from work just one block after I put my car into the road. I had my two kids(ages 6 & 8) in the back of my SUV and they were fighting about the Harry Potter movie they had seen. I turned back for like a second to tell them to stop...

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

:( I was in a auto accident 6 months ago. I was hit by a drunk driver on a motorcycle. He ran a stop sign, and was driving on a suspended licence. I was injured (fractured ankle and whiplash). My Land Rover was repaired, (although it cost over $23,000) is there a way to figure out how much I...

Auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,yesterday I was parked my car in a walmart store parking lotand I was about to back up and leave I had checked my left side and it was clear to me to back up.and I don't know how I hit a car.the driver said that it was my mistake and she called the police to come and check that out.plce made a...

View more questions Search