Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artpenick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 08:35 AM
    "Burned out" submersible pump issue?
    I have a 1hp, 3ph pump at foot of 60 ft well for irrigation. Well set adjacent to pond so water availibility is no issue. It has been delivering ample quantity and pressure for 4 yrs. It is no longer doing either. Pump guy says wiring is incorrect and burned up pump. Motor starter was in fact replaced 2 1/2 yrs ago by master electrician. Pump guy says pump would continue to run "backwards" and deliver some water. I am confused that how a submersible pump would deliver "any" water and if wiring was incorrect; would that not have shown up long ago? I am on Alabama coast; sand issue? Help! Thank you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 08:51 AM

As in "wired wrong" it could be too small a gauge wire for too long a distance. Those conditions can and will burn up electric motors over time.
    artpenick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 09:43 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Electrician said phasing incorrect. Unit not rewired since install in '05; just new starter in '09.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two questions pool pump & submersible well pump for irrigation in river [ 3 Answers ]

Have a inground pool about 5 yrs old that we replace motor every yr,the wireing & amount of juice is OK it's the sealed bearings that start squealing an freeze up, 2ND ? The well pump is 220v / 2 wire direct to breaker ,its on or off nothing fancy an has worked for years except this yr ,runs...

Submersible Pump [ 6 Answers ]

A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

View more questions Search