Kindly help me with this final step.
    How to simplify ((sin(x)/x)*cos(y)) - ((cos(x)-1)/x)*sin(y) to become
    cos(y) only.
    Thank you very much for easing my pain.

Sum
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Jun 24, 2004, 05:15 AM
    Re: Sin(x) Pain
    If your equation is valid, then it is valid for any choice of x and y, other than values when the denominator is zero.

I picked x=pi, y=0. We know sin(pi)=0, cos(pi)=-1, sin(0)=0, cos(0)=1.

I get 0 on the left side of the equation , and 1 on the right side.

Your equation is not valid for this choice of x and y.
    Dr_Calculus Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2005, 09:02 PM
    Maybe not
    You can't choose just any value for x and y since we have no knowledge of x and y being parts of a function, in which a specific x value would correspond to a specific y value.
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Mar 30, 2005, 08:52 AM
    Dr. Calculus, I don't understand your comment
    The original equation did not specify the range of values. In such a case, I think we can assume it is intended for all possible values of x and y, except those for which the denominator is zero.

It is possible that the equation was intended for a limited range of values, such as x and y each between PI/3 and PI/2, in which case my work provides no useful information, but it didn't say that.

If an equation is true for all values of x and y, except those for which the denominator is zero, then it must be true for any particular choice of x and y. So I made a particular choice of x and y. Since the equation did not hold true for that choice, I conclude that the equation is faulty.

Dr. Calculus, please explain why you think my logic is faulty. Thank you.
    Dr_Calculus Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 03:41 PM
    to explain...
    I agree; I don't think that there's enough information to solve the problem unless there is some identity that I am unaware of... As for my criticism, I was just noting that we don't know whether y is a function of x, which may rule out choosing arbitrary values for both y and x. Anyway, the problem didn't explicitly say that (or at least not to our knowledge), so I guess it's not a significant comment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hip Pain [ 9 Answers ]

:mad: I have hip pain and walk with a cane.My MD tells me I will need a operation. He told me to lose 50 pounds and have the operation next year. My problem is the pain medication no longer works.He tells me if he gives me anything stronger I would be addicted to drugs. I hope I can find can a...

Pain after sex [ 3 Answers ]

I'm married, have no kids, and have been having sex now for two and a half years. Up until about 3 months ago, the sex was great, with no pain at all. Then, I would notice that after sex, the inside of my vagina would hurt. Also, the outer area of my vagina swells after sex. I can only have sex...

Pain in the arm... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to ask that my dad got a pain in his arm from 3 weeks he have seen many doctors but can't get any relief plzz help.. doctorz says that this is a muscle pain.. they gave some gel for agaist pain but there no improvement in the pain its same as it was on first day.. can any body...

Pain after sex [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering why I get horrible pain after being fingered by my b/f ?

Pain: [ 5 Answers ]

What has God done to deal with the evil and pain of the world? HANK :(

View more questions Search