Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lellislcsw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 06:04 PM
    Sablestone Solid Surface Integrated sink with crack and leak - Can it be repaired?
    I have a Sablestone solid surface countertop with an integrated double sink. One side of the sink has developed a crack approximately 10" long that leaks. The crack does not go to the drain hole, but it does run up the side. Does anyone know whether this can be repaired, or must it be replaced? Do I have to get a whole new countertop? Sablestone, to my knowledge, is no longer made.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 06:27 PM

I think they are still in Florida Sablestone Inc Clearwater, FL, 33756 - YP.COM You can patch it with silicone but it will never look perfect again. Is the crack just inside the sink and not reaching the counter surface?

Jan 5, 2011, 06:38 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    It is not reaching the counter surface, but there is another crack elsewhere on the counter. We tried to contact Sablestone in FL and got no response. Do you know if it's possible to have the sink cut out and replaced by some other material? Thx.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 06:43 PM

That is where I was going. I had a sink that was ruined by a Plaque dissolving mouth wash. Apparently it also dissolves Sablestone. I used a jig saw and cut out both my sinks and installed drop in porcelien sinks for about $30 each. I actually liked the look better than the integral sink. How to Install a Drop in Bathroom Sink | eHow.com

Jan 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
    Thank you so much for your reply. It gives me some hope that I don't have to replace the entire countertop and sink. Of course, I regret getting the av

Jan 5, 2011, 07:49 PM
    Getting the Sablestone now...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 10:55 AM
    Some other people have reported this problem. This is a composite material that has granite and an organic binder. Most granite seams and cracks are repaired with a colored epoxy. I would try that route, either through a company or as a DIY. Get a good commercial epoxy, some dry base pigment from a commercial paint store and try various mixes to match the color. Make sure the crack is dry and force the epoxy into the crack-make sure to wear vinyl gloves!! When it sets, trim the excess and hopefully you will be good for a while. I've used this process on granite with good results, although not in a sink area. Worth a try! Good luck, Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have an 8 in. Crack on my corian countertop. How can it be repaired? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a crack of 8 in. on my corian countertop in the kitchen. How can it be repaired?

Rust Stain in Solid Surface, Seamless Sink [ 5 Answers ]

I accidentially left an old cookie sheet in my new solid surface (Corian), seamless sink. The corners left rust stains that form 90 degree angles on both ends. I have the crème colored sink, so I haven't felt comfortable using bleach to remove the stain. Anyone have any suggestions for how to...

Sink of solid surface cracked [ 2 Answers ]

Our sink that is part of a solid surface counter (not Corian, but similar) cracked. I didn't see or hear the crack happen, just noticed it. Any suggestions as to how we Can fix it without replacing the entire countertop?

Rust Stain in Solid Surface, Seamless Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I accidentially left an old cookie sheet in my new solid surface (Corian), seamless sink. The corners left rust stains that form 90 degree angles on both ends. I have the crème colored sink, so I haven't felt comfortable using bleach to remove the stain. Anyone have any suggestions for how to...

Solid surface repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Avonite top with a chip, 1/4" wide by 1/6" deep. I have the old > sink cut out for repair material and bought a new tube of the original > epoxy. Ideally, I am tiring to find a 3/8" tapered bit with a MATCHING > 3/8" tapered plug cutter. Is there such a thing out there? Where can I...

View more questions Search