Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    engcanus Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 04:15 PM
    Lease renewal fee applicable even for a new lease?
    I am a landlord and I don't like the current lease which is about to expire. I want to write a new lease that will be better for the tenant and me (tennant is in agreement). However, the existing agreement states that I will need to pay one month rent as commission to the Real Estate company if the lease is renewed. Is writing a new lease or staying on month to month considered as renewing the lease?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 06:19 PM

What is the service that the reality company is going to provide ? Is the home for sale ? And having a lease makes it harder to sell ? Are they acting as the property management company
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2011, 06:22 PM

And you agreed to that? That means that you lose 1 months rent out of every year just for a renewal? Is that in additions to other fees? I would suggest you cancel the contract with that real Estate Company first.

Jan 7, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I didn't fully understanding it. Real estate agent said that the only fee was one month's rent. Later we saw in the lease that the agent included 1 month's rent for every renewal. I want ro know what constitutes a new policy rather than a renewal

Jan 7, 2011, 08:56 AM
    They found the tenant for me. They play no further part.

Jan 7, 2011, 08:58 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    They found the tenant for me and wrote the original lease. They play no further part
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2011, 04:05 PM

Please don't use the Comments feature for followups. Just use the Answer options. I would suggest consulting an attorney about how enforceable this clause is.

Jan 9, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Is it possible to have a lease that is not considered to be a Renewal, but a New Lease between the same landlord and the same tenant for the same property?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 11:47 AM

Any new lease between you and the same people on the same properly will be renewing a lease.

I guess you write a new one, don't pay the real estate company and see if they come after you for the money.

Eitehr that or find a new renter

Jan 9, 2011, 05:47 PM
    Is going to a month by month equivalent to a renewal?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kentucky lease statutes? Mental health applicable for breaking a lease in KY? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has had to be moved from Ky to AZ because she has become suicidal due to a trauma she had a few years ago which has just hit her hard. She is in a mental health facility getting help and she will not be returning to KY. Can she legally break the lease due to her mental/medical status...

Kentucky lease statutes? Mental health applicable for breaking a lease in KY? [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter has had to be moved from Ky to AZ because she has become suicidal due to a trauma she had a few years ago which has just hit her hard. She is in a mental health facility getting help and she will not be returning to KY. Can she legally break the lease due to her mental/medical status...

Landlord able to charge fee on Lease change? (adding a person to lease) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently living with 2 other people in a small house and our lease ends in August. All of us are on the lease. Due to work, I am leaving the space at the beginning of June and therefore am interested in having a different person take my spot for the remaining 3 months. ...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Lease not broken- but assigned a lease breakage fee [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you for reading, Here is the story: This May we moved out of our apartment and found new renters not only for the rest of our term (until July 31st) but until the next year at that time. We moved out and with our good faith we let the new tenants move in and start paying...

View more questions Search