Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camosmom23 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 10:16 AM
    Rights changing locks to keep landlord out without our knowledge?
    We think our landlord has been coming in our home without our permission. Also, she has access to our storage building which has our GolfCart and Gas Grill in it. I don't want her to have access to this without OUR knowledge. We would def. let her in, but I want to be there and to know she is going in. I think its very wrong of her to enter without letting us know.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 10:21 AM

Most lease contracts REQUIRE you to give the landlord a key... which is their right in cases of emergency. Until you can prove they have actually been entering the property in your absence you have to assume they aren't.

They have to give notice before they do enter the residence. Unless there is water running out the doors, Smoke or Fire then as the owners they have the right to enter order to save their property without telling you.

Jan 5, 2011, 10:29 AM
    Well, the reason I know she has, is I talked to her on the phone last night and she stated in our conversation that my Christmas Tree was very pretty. She hasn't been in my home WITH ME KNOWING, since I had my tree up. Sounds silly, I know, but it kind of made me wonder, why did she go in my house? And why couldn't she tell me first?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 10:33 AM

I can see all my neighbors christmas trees (particularly at night)... and I've never actually been in most of their houses. Unless you put it in a room built with no windows... and I don't know of many houses like that. And they ARE allowed to drive by the property to make sure its being maintained, they own it and they have an interest in it. They just can't walk inside the house any time they feel like it unannounced. Without good reason. And "felt like it" doesn't qualify as a good reason.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 02:25 PM
    Depends on your relationship with the landlord - you can TELL her you are concerned that "someone" is entering your house when you are not there; you can TELL her that you are concerned that SHE is entering your house when there's no emergency and when you are not there. You cannot legally change the locks.

I'd keep it light and friendly. If she persists, then address it with her. I'm in NY and am aware of someone who called the Police and filed a report for unlawful entry when the landlord kept coming in when she was at work. She told the landlord that she didn't know who was going into the apartment and that's why she filed the Police Report. Landlord never said anything in either direction... but that was the end of the landlord going in.

It's a thought.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 03:26 PM

Follow Judy's advice and also consider going to a Sporting Goods hunting department and buy one of these Moultrie D-50 Trail Camera, Trail Cameras, Scouting & Feeders, Hunting : Cabelas.com put a poster in front of it saying THESE PICTURES ARE BEING SHARED WITH THE POLICE
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 06:29 PM

You can well be required to provide them a key, in all of my rentals, if they change a lock, I would merely hire a lock smith to change them back and change the tenant.

So you will need to find other ways of keeping track. They are to give you notice of what they need to come in, but do not have to when you are home, but when they want.

For emergancy repairs, they can come in without notice

Jan 6, 2011, 11:50 AM
    Thank you everyone for your help! The camera idea is a great one. Our relationship was good until we had a disagreement on a repair bill for heating, and since then, she has been pushy and standoffish. BUT, I will tell her my concerns in a friendly manner, so that maybe she will get the hint. THANKS!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate changing the locks when I'm on the least [ 1 Answers ]

Afer moving in to my new pace nov1 my roommate changed the locks on me and the landlord said that she took me off the lease and the landlord is refusing to give me my last months deposite and rent money back.

Changing Locks on House [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I of two and a half years broke up about a month ago. We both bought a house together and he moved out of it upon breaking up with me. I can't get him to come here to talk to see what we are going to do with everything as both of our names are on the house, truck, bills, etc. I...

Does a landlord have to change the locks before he rents to new tenant? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into an apt. about 2 weeks ago. Last night I could tell that someone had been in my apartment. When I asked my landlord if he had been there, he said NO, but that someone who used to rent the apartment had come back and not realized that the apartment was rented out to someone else. ...

Changing of locks [ 3 Answers ]

I wanted to know is it legal for a landlord to change the locks and lockout a tenant without going to court?

Can a landlord just change the locks? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Massachusetts and have a sticky situation and hope someone can help. We moved into a house on Nov 27 2007 and both myself and wife signed a lease with a stipulation in writing that in 6 months (it was a 6 month lease) the house would be put up for sale. The landlord said he would make a...

View more questions Search