Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yummymummy91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 09:36 AM
    What right do adoptive parents have over their adopted daughters child?
    I have a son and I was just wondering what rights my adoptive parents have over him?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 09:38 AM

The same rights any other parent would have. Adoptive parents are legal parents.

What EXACTLY are you asking, here? What's the situation?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 09:47 AM

This is controlled by state law, so it really depends on where you live. But generally grandparents have few rights with respect to their grandchildren (I assume you mean visitation rights), especially if the parents are alive and competent. However, the court may grant visitation rights if the grandparents can show that the grandchild would be harmed otherwise (i.e, by demonstrating a history of close relationship between grandparent and grandchild, and that the chid would suffer emotionally without this continued relationship). For reference, here is a discussion about grandparent's visitation rights in Illinois:
    Grandparent visitation rights Illinois involving grandparents visitation Illinois: IL grandchild visitation.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 10:37 AM

The question may not be about visitation rights, though.

It may be about whether the grandparents have the right to be next of kin on a piece of school paperwork, or whatever.

That's why I wanted to know what the situation was before jumping to conclusions about what the OP is really asking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 birthparents, a guardian, and adoptive parents [ 4 Answers ]

Here is scenario: Elderly relative has guardianship, have been raising 5 year-old for the last 3 years, convinces birthparents who are in and out of jail that adoption is best long-term plan for child, finds those parents (in this case, family friends), and birthparents relinquish, does the...

My child is being adopted in CA, I owe back Child Support, The Parents do not want it [ 6 Answers ]

My child is legally being adopted in the state of CA, she is 9 years old now, I talk to there constantly and this is how she wants it to be. I have back child support arrears, the adoptive parents do not want those back arrears? How can they let to court or child support office know this do not...

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

Adoptive parents' rights [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Florida. My friend and his wife adopted his son and his sons sister, who is not related to my friend. Their mother wanted them back, so my friend signed over guardianship to her. Now she doesn't want them again, and is telling my friend he must take them back because they are the...

Okay to live with adoptive parents? [ 17 Answers ]

This situation is a bit complicated, but I'll try to outline it as briefly as possible. :rolleyes: As many of you know, I was raised in foster care, never adopted. After I was emancipated, around the age of 18, I became very close to a friend's parents, to the point where I now consider them...

View more questions Search