Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RollerGirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 09:28 AM
    This is so funny.. I've searched a couple of times to see if anyone else did this and came up with nothing.. I was even wondering if it could be associated with the character from Of Mice and Men..
    But yea I have this sweater sitting on my lap at work and I rub the sleeves of it.. lol.. Something to do I suppose while working. I keep this habit from everyone, except my husband.. I told him about it when we first started dating and he doesn't mind. But what's funny is I was just talking to a co-worker and I guess I was doing it and she looked down and glanced at my "action" which I of course immediately stopped. But I feel much better now knowing I am not the only one that does it.. lol.
    And there are people out there that do weirder stuff.. so no worries! LOL
    Boston914 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 08:19 PM
    I had a satin "blanket" as a child. I have always had pieces of satin or silk to rub between my fingers. Never having found anyone else or connections to others I have come to think I was about the only person in the world who did this. I am 58. What is this all about? It is comforting and it does take me away from whatever else is going on...

Dec 3, 2009, 08:22 PM

I am pretty relieved to know others have this trait as well... Thank you.

Dec 3, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Wow, I am so glad to hear others share this passion. I also tongue thrust and kind of go to a trance... at times.
    devondempsey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 01:45 AM
    Lol. Boston914, I do the same thing! I still have my baby blanket and I am 23. It is now basically useless but I have found a replacement :) I will even rub on the inside of jackets and other clothing if they have the silky material. It is comforting and helps me relieve stress. My boyfriend thinks I'm a weirdo so I came on here to try and prove him wrong! Lol
    Csardas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 02:45 AM
    Doing the same thing. I was looking for answers and if other people are doing this, and why... and so they do :) Why? I guess... because... It's just a thing we do, and we're not the only ones doing it :) :)
    lilybdcsa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 07:31 PM

I'm 56 years old and have always tried to hide my cloth rubbing from others. It's something I've done since I was a small child If anyone else has noticed, it has never been mentioned. I just thought I was weird. Now that I know know I'm not the only one, that's one less thing to worry about. I've been doing it a lot more lately. My mother has a brain tumor and my father has Alzheimer's and I'm their primary caregiver. The rubbing helps to ease the stress. I would never stop it. My preference seems to be for jersey knit or soft cotton fabric. I even have jersey sheets on my bed.
    Racecarr33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 09:08 PM

So happy to hear that there are more people out there like me. I am almost 24 years old and have been rubbing fabrics ever since I was an infant. This is the only "compulsive" disorder I have; however, it is starting to take a toll on my hands. Sometimes the rubbing causes the sides of my hands to dry and even split open to the point of bleeding... the pain of this is not enough to make me quit.

The habit is incredibly embarrassing, but luckily the only people who usually notice are those who are closest to me, like my best friend and boyfriend. I only rub fabric if it is soft and cold (strangely enough, it MUST be cold to the touch) and typically I will only do it when I'm tired or nervous. I'm not sure if it is the drowsiness that makes me rub, or the rubbing that makes me drowsy. My boyfriend says I even do it in my sleep... so I don't think that it is a conscience action.

I enjoy it so much, I doubt I will ever be able to stop!

Something that struck my curiousity was the member who said they were adopted... I too was adopted... perhaps this is a clue? Or maybe just a coincidence...
    Racecarr33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 09:10 PM

P.S. My mother coined the term, "twickling" for this action. :)
    heresbigmike Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 08:43 PM

I'M A 56 year old male , I'm , I think , going through Mid life crisis , or male menopause ! I'm doing as much therapy as I can stand ! You see , I've always been successful and totally Independent , I'm also trying to deal with ( MULTIPLE ) childhood abuse Issues! and I suspect that your finger rubbing , IF IT ACTUALLY BUGS YOU , you may want to come to terms with It !If It only bugs others,and not you , THEM ! After all , If your not dissatisfied with It , and It bugs other people , THEM ! PERHAPS this little thing Is a good thing ! REMINISCENCE , GOOD FEELINGS , MEMORIES!! Are you actually fed up with It ? Or Is everyone else ? If It's bugging you , get rid of It !If It's something comforting ? WELL " everyone else Is going to have to come to terms with It , aren't they !
    silk75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 08:53 PM
    I can't believe there are other people like me! I, too, have been rubbing thin silky like fabrics since I can remember. It started with a corner of my blanket, then handkerchiefs and so on.. This rubbing relaxes me a great deal! I enjoy it a lot and would never think of getting rid of the habit. I am 35 and now rub only occasionally, but always feel happy when I do so
    SpacyStaci Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 10:19 PM
    I am a twiddler too! Been doing it since I was a baby and am actually currently twiddling right now and I'm 23! It is pretty impossible for me to imagine it gives you drowsiness or nausea though cause.. well.. It's just moving your fingers.. All it does is make my fingers and hands cramped after awhile. I cut a little piece of my sleeping bag material so I can twiddle wherever I go.. LOL! I'm so sad yes I know. But I love the feeling!! So don't lose confidence or feel immature because a lot of people do it. I do it in public! Your not the only one and there will always be more twiddlers. P.S.- I will be twiddling on my death bed... If I last.
    JaeOhYeah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 06:52 PM
    OMG I do the same thing as Arsanova's Grandmother! Except I almost always am doing it while sucking my tongue which I've done even before I was born. I do it anytime of day. Sometimes I walk around with my pillow or just the pillow case. So glad I'm not alone!
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 12:26 AM

Four posts. That averages one a year from when the first post written.
    To the day it has been four years.

Old posts do not get much attention... so

If you would like your questions about this habit addressed put it in the ASK YOUR QUESTION BOX and a thread will be started to deal with your issues.
    lilybdcsa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
    I subscribe to this thread in email, so when there's a new post, I'm notified. It's comforting to be to be able to come back here and not feel so alone.
    kiddoc88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 12:27 AM
    You are far from alone.. there are plenty of others including myself who do this
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/fingers_and_fabric/join
    JohnMan89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 12:58 AM
    Hey ophilia please contact me at [email protected]. Maybe we can help each other. Please
    geniva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 08:55 PM
    I am 29, and have been hiding this habit for my entire life. My husband "pretends" not to notice. The odd thing is I have stopped before, but I typically will find another satiny thing to hoard and rub. I feel exactly the same way about the sensitive web between the fingers and also it being COLD to the touch. Anything satiny on an edge does it for me. SO embarrassing but THANK GOD I am not the only one. Thanks for sharing. This is the first time I have googled it. We need a name for this.

WilliamMor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2011, 03:14 PM
    I'm 26 and also do the same thing, it started with my blanket when I was a child and has progressed from there. I try to keep it under control and actually quit for a few years in college. I always use the same handkerchief and it will actually start to disintegrate from the friction and bleach the color out on the tips where I rub. I would guess that over the course of a few years (if I managed to keep the same one) it would completely disintegrate. As others have suggested the "cold to the touch" aspect is key for me, and I will even flip the ends around to cool them between short intervals of rubbing. I Didn't know anyone else did this besides me until right now, and have often felt guilty about the behavior. I also have severe anxiety and do a few other OCD things related cleaning and bodily fluids. One thing I have been thinking about lately, is the harm the repetitive motion might cause us in later life i.e.. Carpal tunnel. I have noticed that sometimes my wrist gets very fatigued after a long or aggressive session.
    WilliamMor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Comment on WilliamMor's post
    And I should mention my sister also has a fabric rubbing addiction. She picks fuzzballs from a fuzzy blanket or sweater and rub them between her fingers, they used to cover the carpet of her room when she was younger and even did it in the car for a while with one of those furry steering wheel covers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Drugs and Addiction [ 12 Answers ]

Hi there Are there any teens out there with a problem?? This is my field of expertise and I would gladly answer any questions in this regard. Come on teens DON'T THROW YOUR LIVES AWAY Lets clean up our act.

Addiction [ 25 Answers ]

Help. I just found out that my best friend as an addiction for sleeping tablets called Stilnox. She doesn't only take them to help her sleep but she takes them evey day soon after she awakes. She takes about 5 a day. I keep trying to her she don't need them but she is adamant she does and can't...

Mentally unstable mom, child suffering [ 2 Answers ]

I've been having consistent problems with visitation regarding my 8-year old daughter who lives with her mother in NY. I'm supposed to have her every other weekend plus shared holidays; however, my ex-wife always has various reasons as to why I can't have my daughter as scheduled, or I have to...

Child may be suffering mood disorders [ 18 Answers ]

I'm beginning to think my 13 yr old is suffering mood disorders. She can be just as happy one minute and then mad at the world the next... she is dealing with adapting to a new environment, new school, etc which is having some negative affects on her. She's starting to act out at school to keep...

My girlfriend is suffering in School [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 21, a premed senior in college. My girlfriend is a junior at the same school and wants to be a high school chem teacher. We've been together a year. Lately she's been getting all C's and is very upset. Every time I speak to her she tells me her latest bad grade and how upset its making...

View more questions Search