Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    williamv33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 12:57 AM
    Dental root canals needed after crowns placed
    I went to a local dentist and they took x-rays and stayed that I had decay on several of my back teeth. I had 5 crowns placed on the left side of my mouth, two of which hurt a few days after the operation. I returned to the dentist several times to get the bite adjusted and nothing seemed to work. I they paid to see a endodontist and they did a cold test and verified that I needed two root canals. Now the dentist says after the root canals they will replace the crowns for free but is that right that 2/5 or 40% of the teeth that were fixed now need root canals? I had 0 pain before ever seeing the dentist. What should I do in this case? Do I have any options?
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Jan 5, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Sometimes it does happen that in removing enough decay to prepare the tooth for a crown, enough is removed to make the nerve be unprotected. In that case you do need a root canal if you want to end the pain and keep the tooth. Your other alternative is to have an extraction (which is cheap) and get fake teeth in a bridge or an implant (which is expensive). It sounds like your dentist wants to help you keep the teeth. A root canal is around $1000 per tooth. If they'll replace the crowns for free, this is really cheaper than implants and less hassle than living with fake teeth. But yes, it is entirely possible that the work of preparing the teeth for crowns caused the pain. It happened to me once; I found out while I still had a temporary crown in place, so the porcelain crown didn't have to be destroyed or even repaired which was good.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Your dentist has been very generous by offering to replace the crowns at no charge.

Nerves in teeth die and need root canals when they have been heavily restored with large fillings and/or crowns. There is no definite time frame for this to happen but it IS unfortunate when it happens after crowns are placed.

Having a crown on a tooth does not mean that tooth can never get a cavity, which is what some people believe. You actually have to be even more thorough when brushing and flossing around crowns because you have to remove plaque from the margins (where the crown and tooth meet).

After having your new crowns placed, you may want to talk to your dental hygienist about home care. Perhaps using a power toothbrush and a daily fluoride rinse or using a special toothpaste that contains NovaMin or daily use of xylitol mints. These are all things that can control bacteria levels in your mouth and protect your investment.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cerec dental crowns (CAD/CAM prefabricated) good or bad? [ 1 Answers ]

My dentist (had for last 3 years) wants to replace one full porcelain crown and one gold onlay both on bicuspids. He wants to gingivectomies on both teeth which I guestion. My gums are in great shape (cleanings every 6 months and used to be a dental assistant and hygienist). I believe he...

Dental crowns [ 2 Answers ]

In Nov 2009, I had 6 crowns - canine to canine - put in and 4 veneers on the premolars and molars. Now a space has grown in between my two front teeth. It catches food, makes my speech lispy and looks bad. I suspect the space is caused because of ill fitting crowns/veneers. I have about 3 loose...

My 4 year old getting a root canal and crowns [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering is it safe for my 4 year old to get crowns and a root canal?

Curious about root canals [ 2 Answers ]

Is it absolutely necessary to have a root canal? My dentist said I needed a root canal. I did not have any pain in the tooth at all even though I did have a pretty big hole in it. Was a root canal absolutely necessary? Couldn't they have just cleaned and filled the hole instead of doing something...

Are crowns a necessity for root canals [ 2 Answers ]

I had a root canal done about 3 weeks ago and today I found out that my dentist wants to put a cown on it. I an asking if this is truly needed for the cost is over $500 and I just paid $450 for the root canal.

View more questions Search