Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfairobent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 12:05 PM
    What could cause an oil forced air furnace to blow cold air non-stop?
    Several weeks ago, I awoke to find my 4.5 yr old American Standard oil furnace blowing cold air through the house. Pushing the red reset button on the control unit (Honeywell) restarted the burner. Three weeks later, the same thing happened and pushing the reset button worked again. Three days later, it happened again, but pushing the reset button did not help. The service technician replaced the control unit but the problem persists. The ignition transformer was replaced, but the problem persists. The technician somehow got the furnace working, but overnight (when the thermostat is set down), it failed again. Now the technician is testing the oil pump pressure. He has suggested something is wrong with the oil, although he say the oil looks OK. Is there a way to verify that the replacement control unit is good? Could this be due to a bad high limit switch which, somehow, works when the furnace is on almost all the time but then fails after being off for a few hours? Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    ColinD Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 12:55 PM
    I had an oil fired boiler / air duct system when I first moved into my house.

It was nothing but trouble as it required constant maintenance, as oil is real messy with the inards of these systems, and I got many faults requiring phoning up sevicemen at all hours to get it fixed. It was costing me a fortune in repairs and never reliable.

I would advise you to cut your losses and buy a gas fired system and if possibly dump the duct system as well, that's what I did, as it was very noisy and drafty in some rooms.

You would be better to buy a combined instantainous central heating/hot water boiler feeding a micro bore system of hot water radiators around the house, and gives you instantainious hot water at your taps as well.

A gas system does not require as heavy a maintenance routine as oil, and is far more reliable.

Cheers ColinD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Warm air blows when furnace is on, cold air does not blow through vent when A/C runs [ 1 Answers ]

When the furnace (forced air gas) is on, warm air blows from all the vents. When the central air conditioner is on in the summer, the vent in one of the bedrooms does not blow cool air. Why?

Furnace works and sometimes it will blow hot air and sometimes cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a inertherm heat pump model # c3da-030u-b. The thermastat has a red lcd light that should come on when the heat is on. When the heat kicks on sometimes it will blow really hot air out then a lot of the time it will blow cool but a little warm air out. Is my thermastat bad?

My furnace will not blow hot air, it blows cold air only. [ 5 Answers ]

My home furnace is not working properly. It only blows cold air.

Cut opening in cold air return to allow alternative heat through forced air furnace? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a wood burning stove heating up my basement but the heat can't get to the upstairs because of the home design. I can't cut openings in the basement ceiling (upstairs floor) for the heat to just rise, so I am thinking about cutting a vent in the cold air return duct downstairs so I can just...

My furnace will not blow hot air, it blows cold air only. [ 2 Answers ]

my furnace does not blow hot air. And the red light indicator stays on continues. My furenace is westinghouse it is 4 years old. And the furnace keeps on working even when I turned off from the in the termostat. I can only turn it off by unplaging the power cord. The wiring diagram in the furnace...

View more questions Search