Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAISY1990 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Fired without notice
    Well this was my first job I started on Nov. 13,06 and my manger just called me like 3 days ago Jan. 8,07 telling me that they didn't have enough hours to give me so that they were sorry and I could go back on October apply again and that I would get hired seasonal. Is there any way I can do anything about this? On days that she would need me to go in even if it was my day off I would go, days that she needed someone to close I would stay and do like 9hrs. For christmas I asked her if I could get the day or if she could change my hours because my uncle was coming back from iraq and she said she was sorry but no. I was hired as a part-time not as a seasonal, I know I did a good job so why am I getting fired? Is there any thing I can do? I live in LA and I'm 16 and I don't really know the law for this so can somebody give me an advice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 09:12 PM
    No, they can fire you at any time for any or no reason with no notice.

I am sorry I am not sure what you though a job was but in real life and in a right to work state, a business does not have to have a reason to let you go,

But in this case they have a reason, not enough business, so they let you go. They can call it full time, part time or seasonal, don't matter, that is only what the store calls it, any job is just till the boss wants to get rid of you, after one day or one year or ten years, don't matter, if the boss don't want to keep you, they let you go.

And you are getting fired because they don't have enough work for everyone,

Yes, you can start looking for another job,
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Technically, it really doesn't sound like a firing but a lay-off. It is perfectly legal. Whether they truly don't have enough hours to give you or if that's just an excuse for getting rid of you is hard to say. Either way, there is little you can do except to ask them to give you a positive reference and get another job.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2007, 03:04 PM
    OK, this is your first job so I can understand why you are upset. But You shouldn't take it personally. The fact that they said you can reapply, shows they lilked the work you did. But a business is run to make a profit, not to employ people. If their payroll costs are more than their income, they need to cut payroll.

You ask why you got fired but they already told you why. As far as the law is concerned they did nothing illegal. As far as what you can do, is apply for other jobs. Ask your boss if they will give you a good reference.That should help you get another job. If a prospective employer asks why you lost that job, tell them what you told us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace oil fired [ 7 Answers ]

I have a beckett oil fired furnace, that has an intermittent problem . If I turn it on most of the time it will come on an work perfect however if I set the thermostat to say 70 the furnace will recycle on and of as it should and then it may pop the reset if I reset it now it may start up and work...

Getting fired without notice. [ 13 Answers ]

I just got fired yesterday from work. I worked there for over a year and we recently just got a new boss, and our manager was acting really weird. They lied to us about the new boss, they told us it was just the old boss' uncle and he was going to be there to supervise and stuff. I don't know why...

Fired Without Just Cause [ 10 Answers ]

I began my new job 4 weeks ago as a test center administrator. I administer exams ranging from education, to doctors exams. During my time there, my supervisor was acting very funny. She didn't take the flyer down for the job position that was there when I first applied. Her two daughters...

Fired [ 8 Answers ]

I was fired by mail after being placed on suspension ( a disciplinary act that is not sanctioned by union contract) and after filing a harrassment complaint during a FMLA leave. I have no income now, therefore no money to pay a lawyer. Got any suggestions on any of the above.

View more questions Search