Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
    Homebuyer's credit eligibility
    My husband and I purchased a home last year(2010). The home had gone into foreclosure but the owners/sellers were still living in the home. We have a written acceptance from the sellers dated in March 2010. However, we didn't get the final approval from the seller's bank until September and we closed on September 29, 2010.

I've heard conflicting answers and nobody seems to be able to give us a straight yes or no. The argument is that although we have an accepted offer prior to the cutoff date(4/30/10) and closed before the final cutoff date(9/30/10), the final okay had to be done through the seller's bank. Since the bank didn't "approve" the sale prior to April but the sale went through anyway, are we still eligible for the homebuyer's credit?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Wow! That situation is NOT one that can really be answered based on information generally available.

You probably should call the IRS, make an appointment and go speak with an IRS representative face-to-face with all of the pertinent paperwork to get an answer IN WRITING. Once you have the written answer, and assuming you DO qualify for the credit, you can then file the return with the written answer attached.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Wow! That situation is NOT one that can really be answered based on information generally available.

You probably should call the IRS, make an appointment and go speak with an IRS representative face-to-face with all of the pertinent paperwork to get an answer IN WRITING. Once you have the written answer, and assuming you DO qualify for the credit, you can then file the return with the written answer attached.
    Good to know I'm not the only one confused! :)

Actually, the link here:
    Seven Important Facts about Claiming the First-Time Homebuyer Credit
    Just says we have to be in contract by 4/30(which we were) and close by 9/30(which we did).

I'm calling the IRS right now to see what they can tell me.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2011, 01:05 PM

Spoke to the IRS; she stated that we do qualify for the credit because we have a signed contract that was dated prior to April 30, 2010 and initially set to close prior to July 1, 2010. Woohoo! :)

Thanks for the help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 02:57 PM
    That is ONE way to read it. However, the person who examines your return may NOT interpret the rules that way, in that he/she may not interpret the house NOT to be under contract until you have the BANK's approval.

That is why you should, In my opinion, EMAIL the IRS and get an answer IN WRITING that says you qualify.

Of course, you CAN file the tax return with the credit and hope for the best. Your choice!
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    That is ONE way to read it. However, the person who examines your return may NOT interpret the rules that way, in that he/she may not interpret the house NOT to be under contract until you have the BANK's approval.

That is why you should, IMHO, EMAIL the IRS and get an answer IN WRITING that says you qualify.

Of course, you CAN file the tax return with the credit and hope for the best. Your choice!
    Hmmm... interesting point. I'd e-mail them if they provided an e-mail address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I fill out on a Rev. Jan 2010 1040x to add first time homebuyer's credit? [ 1 Answers ]

what do I fill out on a Rev. Jan 2010 1040x to add first time homebuyer's credit?

$8,000 homebuyer's credit eligibility [ 3 Answers ]

We've put an offer in on a home; it would be a short sale. The sellers have accepted the offer, but we're waiting for the bank to accept the offer. It's been a month and they haven't requested an additional documentation from the sellers. Since the sellers accepted prior to the tax credit...

Child tax credit eligibility [ 9 Answers ]

I came US first time(H1) in June08 and wife and daughter (4 Yrs) (H4) came on Oct08. As I am Resident alien and filing 1040A married jointly, can I eligible for Child tax credit? Prior to US, they were living with me in India.

First time home buyer tax credit eligibility [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am not H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. I have SSN and my wife has ITIN. We are planning to buy a house and I want to know if we are eligible to receive $7500 tax credit when I file the tax return for 2008. Thank you

Eligibility on FSA enrollment and tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

I am working for a company and having H1-B visa. My wife and son are on dependent visa (H-4). Because of dependent visa, my wife is not eligible to work. My son will start going to preschool from Dec’07. My questions are: 1. Am I eligible for FSA enrollment? As my wife can not work ( because...

View more questions Search