Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MOTHER OF TWINS Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Loss of Son
    Hello,

I lost my son three years ago. I gave birth to triplets at 27 weeks gestation, in lay terms that is three months early. I knew the risks were extremely stacked against me, I now call them twins for the comefort and ease of everyone else involved, but every day I look at my boy and girl and I can not help but think what could have been. I have been thinking of asking my Dr. about an antidepressant or anti anxiety medication, because of the heart palpitations and tachycardia that are present most every night. How do I overcome this or at least settle it with my mind, so I can get past it. I know I will never forget, but I await the time that it gets a little easier, butn it seems as though it "the anxiety" will get better.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I am not sure the loss of a child is ever easy or ever really over come,

But it is how we learn to deal with it, and to celebrate the life, ever how short, of that love one.

I would suggest professonal counseling who may recommend medications, but it is learning to focus and address our grief that we have to work on.
    MOTHER OF TWINS Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Any advice on how to focus and or addrerss my grief.

What is exactly meant by focus- or address. I am well aware of what happened and the reasons it happened. A birth at 27 weeks has a 2 out of three survival rate. I am a victim of statistics. There is nothing I can do now and there was nothing I could have done then.

I don't know what bothers me more the fact that he died or the way he died and the fact that I never got to hold him before he passed away. He succumed to a bacterial infection, and the day before he passed away, the Dr's. Had to perform some prety grewsome procedures in order to sustain what ever kind of life he had at that point. The things that I saw I don't believe I will ever be able to clear from my mind.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Oh, honey. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm sure that part of the problem is that no one is allowing you to grieve. They think that since you have TWO healthy children, you should just be grateful for your blessings and move on! People are incredibly insensitive like that!

You need to see your pastor or a counselor. You are grieving, and need to find a healthy way to do it. There is no time limit on grief, and no "right" way to grieve. You just need to find someone you can talk to about how much it's hurting you.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and blessings.
    redneckchick Posts: 23, Reputation: 5

Feb 21, 2007, 02:08 PM
    The best way to deal with the lost of a child is over time but don't let the other kids feel like they are not loved...
    Kriscool Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
    When you of your son always think of something good. Like what he maybe doing in heaven. And pray for him and talk to him.

The fear of loss is always with us, but we should pick a way to handle with fear and pain.

Take care and God bless,
    Kriscool
    molly19700 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTHER OF TWINS
    Hello,

I lost my son three years ago. I gave birth to triplets at 27 weeks gestation, in lay terms that is three months early. I knew the risks were extremely stacked against me, i now call them twins for the comefort and ease of everyone else involved, but every day I look at my boy and girl and i can not help but think what could have been. I have been thinking of asking my Dr. about an antidepressant or anti anxiety medication, because of the heart palpitations and tachycardia that are present most every night. How do I overcome this or at least settle it with my mind, so I can get past it. I know I will never forget, but I await the time that it gets a little easier, butn it seems as though it "the anxiety" will get better.

any help is greatly appreciated
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my son 2.5 yrs ago so I know how it feels to cope with the pain every day. It sound to me as thougn you do need a some help with medication. I would not entertain the idea for a very long time. I didn't want to be a zombie or stop feeling I thought however there came a very big turning point when I knew I needed help and I went to see my doctor. He put me on Prozac which helped a lot not with the grief ( nothing can help with that) but with my sleeping etc and it gave me the boost I needed so badly at the time. This allowed me to be there properly for my two daughters not just in body!! I came off them myself with no problems at all once I thought I was strong enough to cope again and if I got as low again I would not hesitate to go and see my doctor again. It is a long lonely path that we are on but take support and help where you can and there is no shame in taking medication - other people don't even have to know.

Take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 13, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTHER OF TWINS
    any advice on how to focus and or addrerss my grief.

What is exactly ment by focus- or address. I am well aware of what happened and the reasons why it happened. A birth at 27 weeks has a 2 out of three survival rate. I am a victim of statistics. There is nothing i can do now and there was nothing I could have done then.

I dont know what bothers me more the fact that he died or the way he died and the fact that I never got to hold him before he passed away. He succumed to a bacterial infection, and the day before he passed away, the Dr's. had to perform some prety grewsome procedures in order to sustain what ever kind of life he had at that point. The things that I saw I dont believe I will ever be able to clear from my mind.
    I am very sorry for your loss.
    By seeking professional help you will work on the very issues that you are unsure of what bothers you most of the his death. It will help you in your grieving process and carry on with life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Son [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 years old son not yet to start speak he, just call 'mummy' or 'daddy' only... we, me and wife is normlly not outspoken much please help me

Please help me and my son [ 5 Answers ]

OK here's my situtaion I do not want my son's father's mother any where around myself or my son,here's a little backround she's is on drugs every pill, pain killer there is, she does multiple kinds of drugs meth, crank she'll eat it, snort it, smoke it all in her house. Her 11 and 12 yr. old...

My Son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody I have some problems and need to share with those people with full of kindness that can help me. I am a single mom with 3 kids. I have a man next to me now that will be my future husband. He is a very good man to me and wonderful father-to- be to my kids. My relationship with...

Weight loss ideas for football son [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 10 and is above the weight limit for his squad by about 5 pounds. He is a stocky boy and has a lot of energy. We think that most is muscle but the coaches want him to be in the right weight limit to play. How do I help him? His next game is 9/18. Thanks in advance!

Son [ 1 Answers ]

I would be happy to help you. Check out my site! LoriAngelConnectio

View more questions Search