Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blkhorse2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Transfer Rate
    My transfer rates drop radicly while down loading. I am running Win XP home. I have dial up and my rate is about 4200bps. My rates start any where from 12 to 15kb And drop quickly to an average o 1.75bps. What causes this and how do I fix it?
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Transfer rates are calculated as "moving averages." Just like the stock market - the last 50 days or last 100 days or last 200 days are averaged together to get the stocks' 50-day moving average (or 100- or 200-). Transfer rates are computed based on how much data has been transferred in the past 60 or 120 or 500 seconds (the actual times may vary, but I hope you understand).

So when you first start transferring, the past 60 seconds has has no data transferred. This means that the computer doesn't have any past data to compare it with. The result is a fast-looking data transfer rate. This just doesn't hold up over time though, as the average data rate for the transfer shows up over time.

It's like getting in your car and driving 60 miles an hour from the start. At first, it looks like you're going real fast. 100 miles into the drive though, and it will seem like you're just puttering along at a snail's pace and want to go faster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rate of Return [ 2 Answers ]

:) A 2 year maturity bond with face value of $1,000 that makes annual coupon payments of $80 and is selling at face value. What will be the rate of return on the bond if its yield to marurity at the end of the year is a. 6% b. 8% c. 10% :)

Rate of Return [ 2 Answers ]

Would the normal rate of return be the same in all industries? Would it change over time?

Fertility rate [ 1 Answers ]

Hey well Im new to this board and I have been researching the fertility rates because my husband and I want to conceive but I'm really lost because my husband only has one testicle and has been that way since birth and we both agreed to try for a year before consulting a doctor.. so I was wondering...

DL transfer rate too low [ 12 Answers ]

My internet for downloading the transfer rate when from some hight number (forget what that was lol) but now, when I download something the net the transfer rate is like 6-9kb whch really sux the big one because DL's take for ever. What can I do to get the transfer rate up, I am on adsl. Don't...

Help.. with transfer rate [ 1 Answers ]

Why when I'm downloading.anything frm net.. my transfer rate... very low... like 10kb or 11kb... my net speed is 1mbps... anyone know how to increase my net transfer rate

View more questions Search