Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brad25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 11:14 AM
    GI Bill benefits after BCD Discharge in second enlistment
    I'm having a hell of a time getting the ball rolling on my GI Bill and am seeking some advice from people who have gone through some of the same problems. I was discharged September of last year with a BCD from the Marine Corps after serving almost 7 years, my first enlistment was honorable but because it was continuous service I can't get a DD214 for the first enlistment. The VA is saying that I need a DD214 from my first enlistment to receive my benefits but the Marine Corps says they can't get me one, anyone have any suggestions on how I go about fixing this?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 11:31 AM

I was under the impression a BCD voided most VA Benefits but not all.

Did you try getting the BCD changed to OTH?

The following was taken from another thread here on AMHD:

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions. Dishonorable and bad-conduct discharges issued by general courts-martial bar VA benefits. Veterans in prison and parolees may be eligible for certain VA benefits.

Bad conduct, dishonorable, less than honorable or undesirable military discharges which may prevent eligibility for VA medical care, pensions, compensation or other benefits can be changed by applying to the appropriate military service's discharge review board. To learn more, see:
    US Military Information

*NOTE*
    When you say the Marine Corps. Who specifically are you referring to? When you say the Marine Corps. You are implying whomever you spoke with shares the exact views, beliefs, knowledge and opinions of the entire Marine Corps. Which is innaccurate. Refer to Billet, Rank, Name etc... NOT the entire USMC! (unless of course you have spoken with Gen. Amos/Commandant of the Marine Corps)
    Brad25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 06:55 PM
    By Marine Corps I am referring to the staff at NAMALA, the unit that discharges people who receive a BCD. My understanding from the posts that I have read, and even from what the VA is telling me is that I do still rate the GI Bill due to my honorable first enlistment, but the VA also says that I need to have a DD 214 from my first enlistment, which I don't have and never received, and NAMALA the unit with my SRB and who is in charge of doing up my DD 214, says that they can't make one for just my first enlistment.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2011, 07:05 PM

Hello Brad:

Well, I've never gone through THOSE problems, but I still have a suggestion... Apparently, you've tried yourself to get the records you need, and have been unsuccessful. Now, I don't know if they're following the rules, or making them up. Apparently, since you ARE eligible for benefits stemming from your first enlistment, their must be some way to VERIFY that first enlistment... Yet, you can't get the records yourself...

Seems to me that a lawyer would be your next step.

excon
    jdscholz83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Brad, I have gone through your pain. Find me on Facebook: Jason Scholz | Facebook

I can walk you through this. It is very simple and easy and I will relieve all your stress. I am going to school with a BCD on my 2nd enlistment as well. And I have full post 9/11 gi bill benefits. Please contact me asap and I can help you with much ease.
    iyanna5279 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Brad did you every find out of to get your benefits. I am in the same boat as you??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2 prior honorable discharges, last enlistment BCD, VA home benefits [ 15 Answers ]

I served in the Marines for ten years have had two honorable dishcarges in leiu of reenlisting. During my third tour I was special courtmartialed and awarded a BCD. Will this make me eneligible for a VA Home Loan?

Bcd affect ssi benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I received a honorable discharge for the firist 4 years in the navy 65-69 several months after dicharge reenlisted and got a bcd for going awol. A mistake I have regreted since and also ashamed. My question is does this affect my ssi when its time to file and do iI have to tell ssi and provide my...

BCD Discharge [ 2 Answers ]

I received a Bad Conduct Discharge in 1984 for a petty larceny and was sentenced to a year confinement. Is this considered a felony ?

BCD. Able to bump up to OTH or anything better? Any benefits? [ 1 Answers ]

I got out the marines in January of 2007. I've done my time, did two tours to iraq amongst a bunch of other . I went to iraq at the end of 03 and smoked weed over there... came back and popped on my piss test... got busted down... second time went to iraq from 05 to 06 came back off leave popped...

View more questions Search