Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaronlongo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 10:53 AM
    Wiring three switches for three lights. One red wire.
    Here is the situation... I have one outdoor fixture, an outdoor outlet (used to be a lamp post) and an indoor light fixture. This is what I was able to get to work (turn each on an off individually without affecting anything else):

All three white wires are wire nutted together.
    All three ground wires are wire nutted together and grounded to the gang box.

Here is the diagram that I have:

Can anyone tell me why this works?
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 12:00 PM

In the electrical field, wire nutting is the correct process to use.

In the electronics field, it is entirely different.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 01:26 PM

Are you concerned that your home was wired in 1967 using Aluminium wiring?

The problem with Aluminmum wiring is mostly directed to expansion and contraction of the conductors because of heat. This expansion and contraction can result in loose connection and loose connections can result in fire. Another problem that more invasive is the mixing of copper listed connections on Aluminium wiring or Copper conductyors onconnected to Aluminium wiring. These two disimilar metals will oxidise and result in poor connections.

If so, then you still need to follow the process I gave you, with a lot more attention to the conductors going to your receptacles.

With respect to Amway's responses, I haven't the slightest clue as to what he is takling about.

Also, wire netting is in no way the same as residential wiring. My answers are based on the NEC.

Jan 3, 2011, 02:55 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    Interesting, thank you.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2011, 09:14 AM
    If everything works, your diagram is wrong. You have a switch before all three fixtures. As wired when the lamp post was energized only then would the outlside light and interior fixture work.

Jan 4, 2011, 09:54 PM
    Comment on Missouri Bound's post
    I think I understand... you are saying that the red is the "hot" right? This would mean that if the lamp post switch were to be open, the other two would not be able to be closed circuits. Right?

Jan 4, 2011, 09:55 PM
    This is why I'm confused. Let me try to elaborate on the situation. When I tried to figure this thing out, I connected the red to each black individually with the following result:

Jan 4, 2011, 09:56 PM
    Red::switch::outside lights = nothing. Red::switch::lamp post = lamp post on. Red::switch::inside fixture = nothing. Again, I understand why it looks like it's wrong and that's why I'm so darned confused!

Jan 4, 2011, 09:56 PM
    Hopefully that helps to explain a little better.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 11:01 PM

I don't think I follow your diagram or your description so I'm doing a lot of guessing.
    I guessing that you have not verified which wire is hot and are assuming that the red is hot. Also, you have not stated how many black wires you have.

I am guessing that the lamp post originally had a light and an outlet. If that is correct it would have been wired with 3-wire cable which explains the red wire. A white for neutral, one switched hot (either red or black) for the light and one unswitched hot (either red or black) for the outlet.

Chances are that you have four black wires. One for the in coming power, one for the interior light, one for the exterior light and one for either the lamp post outlet or the lamp post light.

Red::switch:: outside lights = nothing. Red::switch::lamp post = lamp post on.
    That sounds like the red is not the hot. That sounds like the black to lamp post switch is the hot and the red goes to the light

Verify which wire is the incoming hot with a meter. Post back

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Wire Two Light Switches With 2 lights with One Power Supply diagram [ 26 Answers ]

I want to wire 1 way switch, 1 dimmer switch with 2 individual lights from one powe source. Thank, frank

Wiring 3 switches for 3 lights [ 8 Answers ]

Hi,need a digram on wiring 3 switches in a gang box to 3 diff lights,I took power from a receptacle,I got one light to work,but need to know how to wire the other 2 lights and switches,also I am using 3 dimmer switches,the lighting is for a lionel train platform.thanks for your help,rich

Wiring 3 different switches together to control lights in garage? [ 1 Answers ]

Want to wire 3 switches together to control all lights in garage. I know I need 2 3 way switches and 1 4 way switch. Need diagram and instructions please

Wiring for multiple lights and switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a new circuit of lights, and I want to know if this way will be OK. -The supply from the panel enters the first fixture. The black supply is connected to 1)the white wire of the switch leg 2) the black of the leg that runs power to the next set of lights. The supply white is connected...

How to wire/combine 4 single switches in one box for 4 lights [ 13 Answers ]

I want to wire 4 fluorescent lights separately on single switches but want to put the switches in one blue box. Other words, I want to be able to turn on one light at a time, or turn on 3 different lights at a time. How do I run the wires in the switch box? Do I pigtail all of the switches? The...

View more questions Search