Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sexyclaire Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 07:52 AM
    The bank put 10,000 in my acount,which was a friends.do I have to pay it back.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 07:55 AM

If they (the Bank) put money in your account by accident... and you think its found money to spend as you wish... then you are wrong and yes you DO have to pay it back.

They (the Bank) can and will come after you for it, and will win.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 07:55 AM

If you want to keep your friend.

Is this really a serious question?

The money isn't yours, so of course you have to pay it back.

Jan 3, 2011, 06:42 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    No I didn't think it was found money... I was exspecting the same amount from a back datement pay... And how could they make such a big error... she should have checked it first...

Jan 3, 2011, 06:45 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Yes it was a serious question... I was exspecting the same amount from a back datement pay... It was the banks stupid mistake... she should have done her job properly... so why should I pay for there mistake.. And my friend did find it funny..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 08:10 PM

What's a "back datement pay?"
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2011, 06:07 AM

Banks can and do make errors at times... they are completely within their rights to demand... and legally expect it back.

The mistake is usually caught. And if its not there when they reverse it, then it is bad for you. They can take you to court... win a judgement against you... and hound you the rest of your natural life. I'm serious... this has happened to others before. You are only entitled to money you can prove you actually deposited... not to accidental deposits.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 08:33 AM

That is correct. I had a Marine that somehow got everyone else's pay deposited into his account. He was quite happy but it created one helluva mess. As the Marine Corps. Fundementals include honor, courage & commitment he announced the mistake and changes were made.

He was told later of the reprocutions that could have occurred if he spent the money and didn't tell anyone! Ie: it would have been a bad mistake!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2011, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    They can take you to court...win a judgement against you....and hound you the rest of your natural life.
    Hello smoothy:

It's actually WORSE than that... If she spends a nickel, she'll be charged with THEFT.

excon
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello smoothy:

It's actually WORSE than that... If she spends a nickle, she'll be charged with THEFT.

excon
    Yeah.. that IS correct... I should have realized that, my wife's been in banking for over ten years now.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 09:31 AM

Here's an additional question. If the OP spends $.01 is it any different then if she spent $10,000? I am assuming theft laws over/under still apply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

May a Bank put a hold on my account to pay a line of credit without notification? [ 0 Answers ]

I am a small restaurant / catering co. owner. We are struggling just to stay afloat and pay the bills. I had a question about my business account one day last week and didn't understand how they got to the balance that was posted, so I asked for an explanation. The teller put the manager on the...

Taxes of getiing money to US bank acount [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am non resident with social security, last time I was in US in 2005, I have US bank acount. Now I am selling on internet and withdrawing money from paypal acount to US bank acount, and then I use my VISA card to get money from acount in my countrie. So question, do I need to pay any taxes of...

Can I pay off my condo and give it back to the bank. I want out. [ 2 Answers ]

I have quite a dilemma on my hands. I have a condo I bought years ago. I was renting it out but there have been too many problems. The whole condo complex is nearly abandoned and all the value is gone. Tenents keep moving out because the water keeps getting turned off due to no one paying the...

Bank acount frozen. [ 4 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen duo to a judgment against me by a collection agency, Forster & Garbus. I have never received, by mail or any other means, a notice informing me about it or a summon to a judgment court case against me. I closed my last credit card account over 8 years ago with no...

Bank garnishment on joint acount [ 1 Answers ]

The bank received a garnishment for my husband for credit card debt that is 7 years old and took all money that was in our joint accout. Can they legaly take everything that is in our account we live in non community state and I have my own direct deposit that goes into the account I am the main...

View more questions Search