Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 05:07 PM
    I need help to install new thermostat
    I have York brad manual thermostat. I bought a Honeywell RTH230B digital. York has 6 wires which labeled as O,R,W,Y,G,B(blue). Honeywell has 5 labeled as Rh,Rc, Y,W, and G. Also Rh and Rc are jumped . What is the right way to connect the new one? Y, W, and G are okay.

Thanks for the help.

ROS
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Sounds like you know how to connect the yellow, white and green. I am assuming that this is a forced hot air furnace and not a heat pump or hot water system. That leaves r and o, well the R goes to the shorted Rh and Rc. Now we're down to the O and you will need to open the door on the furnace and locate the control board where all of these wire are connected to the furnace. See where the O wire is connected, if it is even connected at all. Your Honeywell directions should tell you where it goes on their stat. Not all stats will work on all heating systems. You need to be sure your have purchased the correct stat for your application. If you're not sure you can call Honeywell customer service dept. their number is in the direction booklet.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 07:43 PM
    The thermostat you bought is for one stage heat and one stage cooling. (used for gas or electric heat strip heating) The thermostat can't be used on a heat pump. If O was used on the old thermostat, you have a heat pump. The blue going to B throws me off . If it went to X or C this is your common, but on B that is the reversing valve in heating mode.
    R2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top
    The thermostat you bought is for one stage heat and one stage cooling. (used for gas or electric heat strip heating) The thermostat can't be used on a heat pump. If O was used on the old thermostat, you have a heat pump. The blue going to B throws me off . If it went to X or C this is your common, but on B that is the reversing valve in heating mode.
    Thanks for the response.

I called the Honeywell and I was told I need RTh7400 model. I was also told W should go to Aux, Y goes to Y, B goes to C, G goes to G, R goes to R, and o goes to O/B. And I should set the setting 170 to 7, 190 to 0, and 270 to 9. I did all of that but system is not working. I don't know what I did wrong but I am cold and tired. I will call the company to install one and return back the unit to the store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 Wire Thermostat Install? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm trying to replace my old mercury thermostat (from 1979 it seems) with a new 4+1+1 thermostat. I took off the old 'stat and I had 3 wires connected to it brown, green(maybe grey), and black. The brown and green wires were connected to the same terminal while the black one was...

Digital Thermostat Install [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a digital thermostat replacing and old non programmable one. I have 4 wires (red, yellow, green and white) that need to be attached to the new unit but I don't see where the common wire comes from per the new wiring instructions. What am I missing? Replacing Honeywell with Robert...

Thermostat install and wire fell off [ 1 Answers ]

I attempted to install a programmable thermostat today. I got the old one off and the red wire that was supposed to be RH (mine had a #4) fell off. Before I messed with it it looked like the RC and RH were connected somehow. So I installed the system as if it were a 4 wire system leaving the...

Help with thermostat install [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a ritetemp thermo stat and didn't label the wires can anyone help -I know---:mad: Stupid

Where should I install the thermostat? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 3 family home and am having a problem getting the heat up to the third floor. Right now the thermostat is in the basement and the sensor is in the first floor apartment. Where should the thermostat be placed? In the first, second or third floor apartment for me to better manage the heat...

View more questions Search