Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milehighinla Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 06:31 PM
    Emptied septic tank but water still backs up in bathtub?
    After a heavy rain my bathtub started backing up and toilets stopped flushing. I called a plumber and he ran a snake through the roof since I was not able to find the clean out pipe. It worked for a couple days but he said it looked like my septic tank was full. I had the tank pumped but still have the same problem. Desperately need help. What else could it be?
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 1, 2011, 06:48 PM

If your septic tank was in bad shape, you could have clogged the lines between the house and the tank. You will have to get it snaked out again. You might want to get it video checked if problems persist.
    rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2011, 11:35 AM
    I hate to answer things that hurt a bit but sounds like you have either a collapsed or clogged sewer line.
    As EP stated a camera inspection is probably the best way to determine your next step. Usually if after
    A rain your problem occurs, this is a good indication that the sewer line is broken and ground saturation
    Is now backing into your system. Keep me posted.

Jan 3, 2011, 04:04 PM
    Comment on EPMiller's post
    Thank you both for your answers. I did end up finding the clean out pipe right outside my kitchen and snaked it out. Seems to work for a about a day so Im thinking it's like rojo1 says and I've got a collapsed sewer line

Jan 3, 2011, 06:35 PM
    Comment on rojo1's post
    Thank you both for your answers. I did end up finding the clean out pipe right outside my kitchen and snaked it out. Seems to work for a about a day so Im thinking it's like rojo1 says and I've got a collapsed sewer line
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 08:23 PM

How much did that plumber charge you for pumping your full tank, septic tanks are always full even when working at 100%. EP gave a great answer but most plumbers, real plumbers, can tell if the pipe is collapsed by rodding with a 2" or better cutter. A failed field would be an issue with a septic but a full tank is never the problem

Jan 4, 2011, 10:44 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    The company that pumped the septic tank is not the same that snaked the pipe. But I do understand what you are saying. The plumber should not have diagnosed it as a full septic without doing what you mentioned. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water backs up in downstairs bathtub when upstairs shower is used. How do I fix the p [ 2 Answers ]

I have up and down full bathrooms right above each other. When I use the upstairs shower, I get water in the downstairs tub. What do I do?

Bathtub won't drain, water backs up into it from the bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

My bathtub won't drain. Gel drain cleaner did nothing except come back up into the tub. Now I have to scoop it and the water out. When I put water in the bathroom sink, it drains but the water level in the tub rises. Both are upstairs in the same room. The toilet in the same room flushes but...

City water with septic tank [ 3 Answers ]

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but I'm in the middle of an argument with someone... If you have public water, but a septic tank in your yard, WHERE does the used water go? As in the bath tub or sink... once it goes down the drain, does it pour into your septic tank?

Bathtub with Septic Tank takes HOURS to drain [ 11 Answers ]

A year ago, I purchased a house that has a septic tank. We've had to have Roto-Rooter come out once to flush the lines because the toilet kept backing up (no problems with the tub). The Roto-Guy told us that we would need to have the tank pumped soon and also add the septic treatment regularly. ...

Grey water from Septic Tank leak? [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a house 3 months ago and the owner disclosed they had grey water by an outside wall in the spring when it rained a lot. We ordered a septic inspection prior to buying the house and the sewage inspector said the greywater was because the sink and the shower in the basement bathroom...

View more questions Search