singhv_1980 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Who issue W2?
    Hi

Work summary:

- Worked in a University for Jan and Feb 2006

- Worked on CPT (training) with a company from March till 1 May 06

- Worked on OPT with same company from May 1 to Dec 1 06

- Worked on HI-B from Dec 1 06 to 31 Dec 06.

Didn't pay social security or medicare tax until Dec 1 06.

How many W2 should I get?

Who issue W2s?

Any special clause under which I can save some tax ? (as I am single without any deductions and paying a lot of taxes)

I would really appreciate replies. Thanks!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
    It sounds like you worked for three separate entities. Is that correct? Either way, your employers supply the W-2's. If you moved from the time you were employed with them until now, you need to give them a change of address, so that you receive your W-2 statement. It is their responsibility to send them, but your responsibility to make sure they are sending to the right address.

Have you considered opening an IRA or Keogh account? Those would divert your income and you would pay taxes on your after deduction income. Best to talk to a tax consultant -or perhaps your employment has a human resource coordinator that can explain your benefits. Many companies offer retirement plans.
    singhv_1980 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    It sounds like you worked for three separate entities. Is that correct? Either way, your employers supply the W-2's. If you moved from the time you were employed with them until now, you need to give them a change of address, so that you receive your W-2 statement. It is their responsibilty to send them, but your responsibility to make sure they are sending to the right address.

Have you considered opening an IRA or Keogh account? Those would divert your income and you would pay taxes on your after deduction income. Best to talk to a tax consultant -or perhaps your employment has a human resource coordinator that can explain your benefits. Many companies offer retirement plans.
    Thanks for your ansewer. I worked in the same compaby since Feb 2006. Only my status of working changed from CPT->OPT->H1-B.

So, I guess I should get one W2 from the University and one from the company.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:57 PM
    You will definitely get a W-2 from the university.

The employer may issue two separate W-2s to differentiate the type of employment, but that is NOT required.

Just make sure they report the income earned correctly and that the Socia Security and Medicare taxes are computed accurately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody issue. [ 3 Answers ]

I have custody of my niece's youngest three children. All of which are under the age of 3. She has 7 kids but doesn't have custody of any of them. While she was pregnant with the last 2 she was on drugs and constantly talked of getting an abortion because she did not want the kids. Once she had the...

Contact issue [ 3 Answers ]

My divorce is about 6-8 weeks from being final. When my attorney's office called to schedule my deposition, I called my soon-to-be ex-husband and asked if this is what he really wanted (he asked for the divorce, but I filled). A couple of days later, I received an email from his girlfriend who...

Online issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I recently ordered cable and internet services from Charter Communications and used online chat service in the process. It was a "Winter Bundle" and I was supposed to get the complete package installed free of charge. I am pasting a part of the transcript that was later sent to my...

Issue from my past [ 4 Answers ]

I am very happily married, so this has nothing to do with a desire for another man, just so I am understood. But, I had a love years ago, we almost married. He was hiding an onset of schitzophrenia, we tried to work through it, but it was too much for him. He left one day. My husband feels he...

Is this a issue ? [ 7 Answers ]

PC : XP Pro Service pack 2 --------------------------- Start/Run <typed>MSCONFIG Looked in: Win.Ini Programs It shows: ;msconfig Luke.exe=C:\storage\calarkconnect iso\clarkconnect-2.1iso

View more questions Search