Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djbowens Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Jan 1, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Wii having issues since I bought a new TV
    I got a brand new LCD HD TV for Christmas this year. My old TV was also a HD TV, but it was not LCD, it was actually a CRT HD TV and I never had any issues using my Wii with that TV. However, ever since I've begun using my new TV, my Wii has a lag. I've used a few different remotes (motion plus built-in, non motion plus, etc), but none of these alleviate the problem. There is a noticeable lag between when you press a button on the remote and when the character moves on screen. It's a big issue because I'm not able to play any of my games as well since I am not used to this lag. I was considering buying the component cables for the Wii (the 5 pronged cables), but I am concerned that this may not fix the issue. Those cables are expensive and I don't want to waste the money on them if it won't get rid of the lag. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this same issue when they've gotten a new TV and how they fixed the problem. I do have another CRT TV that I can use to play my Wii if need be, but I was hoping to continue to play my Wii on my brand new TV if I can get rid of this lag. So if anyone out there knows how to fix this issue, please help! I will buy the cables if they really will get rid of the lag on the TV, but I am just worried about wasting money if they don't fix the issue. I've also tried purchasing an "old-school" controller for my Wii (one with an actual cable) but this controller is made to be plugged into a remote instead of the actual Wii console, so it was of no use. I even tried to use it to play my favorite game, but it was not supported by the game so I ended up returning it. So as I said before, if anyone else has encountered this issue and knows how to resolve it, please let me know! I appreciate any help given. Thank you all!
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 25, 2011, 11:38 PM
    See if anything here makes sense to you:
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ingsScreen.jsp
    If your CRT was HD but not wide screen, you might have to make an adjustment. The TV has a settings area as well. You could try setting it to 3x4 normal and see if the Wii lag goes away. Do a Sherlock Holmes on it.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 03:30 PM

I used to a have a 42" Plasma and I encountered this same thing when I played Rockband and Guitar. There was a setting on my TV that allowed for me to change the lag, kind of like the voice match option but a video version instead of audio.

I am unsure of your TV model but I would imagine yours would have a similar function.

Also, what cables are you currently using? RCA I'm assuming? (red, white & yellow)?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    See if anything here makes sense to you:
    | Nintendo - Customer Service | Wii - Screen Settings
    If your CRT was HD but not wide screen, you might have to make an adjustment. The TV has a settings area as well. You could try setting it to 3x4 normal and see if the Wii lag goes away. Do a Sherlock Holmes on it.
    The link is very useful but I picked up on some errors it stated.

First off the resolution of 480i & 480p are the same. The only difference is the way it refreshes these pixels for motion (I=interlaced[every other line first] P=progressive[all at once or progrssively across the screen]) this results in less motion blur or laginess (ie: the OP's issue)

Secondly, 480p looks better then 480 (in limited aspects [usually you won't notice]) because of the "p" part instead of "i".

I just wanted to pinpoint some innaccuracy of that link. Although, it is very correct about the component cables. Composite (RCA) cables are used for 480i but EDTV(480p) requires higher bandwidth transfer, therefore at least a set of component cables are needed for this video transfer.

I am not bashing your link, it was actually nice and to the point (about Wii settings) there were just some things I wanted to cleanup before too many people placed their hearts and minds into what they read!

What do I suggest. I suggest getting the compoenent cables, changing it to EDTV, setting the screen to 16:9 (on both Wii and TV) and I am pretty positive it will fix the lag. I think this is because your TV doesn't have 480i upconvert to auto adjust to the low resolution. Since your TV is an HD sometimes they have difficulties (depending on brand/model) playing things in 480i.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rebooting the Wii? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, first of all, all the sockets work, so its not the sockets, but second of all, My Wii has been completely blank, showing no signs of life, the light won't turn on at all when I hook it into a socket, is there a way I can reboot it or something?

Wii remote not connecting with Wii [ 8 Answers ]

None of my wii remotes are connecting with my wii. It still turns on and goes to the wii menu, but none of the controllers will connect. I have referred to the handbook, and it doesn't really help. Can anyone here help me? I think it stopped working when I was playing Super Smash Bros Brawl, and...

I often see Wii. What does it stand for? [ 1 Answers ]

I often see Wii. What does it stand for?

Wii 2 [ 5 Answers ]

What Will The Wii 2 Look Like? What Feature The Wii 2 Shall Have? Please Answer!

I bought a bike and the person I bought from sold it [ 6 Answers ]

I bought 2 dirt bikes the were listed on carig list in ny so I want and saw the bike and agreed that I will give him the full asking price for both which was $650 total of $1300. I paid in cash I get a resit and a bill of sale for both. I told him I was going to get the bikes in couple of weeks...

View more questions Search