Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 5, 2007, 08:25 PM
    I agree with posts #47 and 75

I also defer to Galatians 3:24 and Romans 14

Pray about it and HE will answer you.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 6, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Although I agree wholeheartedly with what is said above, I found this and would like to put it forth for your opinions... TATTOOS & THE BIBLE
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 8, 2007, 09:02 AM
    What an interesting topic! The one thing in my opinion is that the laws never changed in the Bible, of course we as people have changed. But the one solid thing is that the Bible has remained the same. Although we as society might think it is acceptable to do things that were forbidden in the old testament or new testament for that matter. I Believe that there is no sense in trying to figure out if it is wrong or right, more importantly we should honor God with everything we do.
    I do not have any tattoos and I have no desire to do so, this doesn't make me any less of a sinner or better than someone who has a tattoo. I think what is most important is what someone's intentions are in their heart, not what's on their body.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 8, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Maybe it comes down to avoiding things that might make another person stumble like Saint Paul pointed out.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

May 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krystal1973
    What an interesting topic! The one thing in my opinion is that the laws never changed in the Bible, of course we as people have changed. But the one solid thing is that the Bible has remained the same. Although we as society might think it is acceptable to do things that were forbidden in the old testament or new testament for that matter. I Believe that there is no sense in trying to figure out if it is wrong or right, more importantly we should honor God with everything we do.
    I do not have any tattoos and I have no desire to do so, this doesnt make me any less of a sinner or better than someone who has a tattoo. I think what is most important is what someones intentions are in thier heart, not whats on thier body.
    Whenever we have to look for "loopholes" like a Philadelphia lawyer to justify our actions there is something wrong.. The real question here is simple...[B]DO WE WANT TO BE LIKE JESUS OR NOT?? As stated by me before, many so-called Christians are trying to fit in with the world, giving in to the world's "fads" and such.
    Jesus has very clearly told us that we are "in the world, but not OF the world
    jesus will never condone violating ANY part of the scriptures, whether it be OT or NT.!!!B]
    Where we get into problems is trying to live with one foot in the world and the other foot in the church. We can never be what Jesus commanded us to be unless we resolve in our heart of hearts to completely sell out to Jesus. We will have to deny ourselves to do this.
    Until we resolve this issue, we will be as Paul said, "a sounding brass and tinkling cymbal." In other words... JUST A BIG RELIGIOUS NOISE!
    God bless each of you. I will be praying for everyone of you in your walk with the Lord. Please pray for me too! Jesus is coming soon!!
    Escaping The Flesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 02:30 AM
    In accordance to the bible tattooing is wrong because it is desecrating your temple (sorry, no bible quotes from me, I'm not and avid enough reader I suppose) but I personaly feel that it is your own judgment call.
    I myself have ten tattoos. Five of which are memorials to my mother who passed away while I was still at a very young age, one of which contains the star of David for the faith that my mother had chosen for me and I still follow to this day (Judaism).
    I still feel as if god listens to me and helps me along when I need him-leading me down the paths I need to walk-, and punishes me when I do wrong, so I don't feel that the ink under my skin hasn't made him cast a blind eye upon me or caused him to love me any less, and it has helped me find closure in my own way.
    Once again, these are answers from my heart and are in no way to be taken as an answer from a rabbi or Priest, or whomever leads and teaches in the denomination of your choosing but in my way I feel that having piercings and tattoos, if you feel they are the things for you, are a way of praising god for giving us our bodies-as long as it is not done in a self destructive way-For what greater being could give us vessels that grant us a way to adorn ourselves in ways that allow us to perceive our bodies as beautiful or art?
    Some things done to the human body are obscene and perverse, but in my life, I have praised god with every piercing, with every pigment placing, that he has granted me a body that can sustain such acts and heal from it. And I thank god for allowing me to find closure and happiness within my bodily temple with such actions.
    Yes, I can be perceived as a 'bad Jew' for piercing my body (which is actually a sign of slavery) and 'branding my flesh' which is a sign of oppression (the nazis tattooed id numbers on the arms of those who went into their camps and I have been told that the Egyptians also tattooed their slaves to show ownership.) but for me they are signs of freedom.
    To sum up a very long winded post: Do what you feel is right in your heart. Talk to an elder first of course but the final call is yours. If you feel, in your heart of hearts, that the ink is what you need to have your body be completed then by all means, take that step.
    There is no telling what idea is right or wrong or whose translation or deliberation on the words of the bible is correct. There are some who take it word for word or some that take it for a deeper meaning. Do what you believe to be right. :p
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

May 25, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Look, the Word says not to. I don't have a clue why it is such a big deal. I don't think it is, I personally wouldn't but it doesn't seem like it should be wrong. But frankly, I don't see how eating one little bite of fruit got Adam and Eve kicked out of the garden. I mean... come on, if we want to reason that one... we'd all agree it wasn't the smartest decision but the outcome of one little tiny wrong bite was HUGE! I guess I can only conclude that my ways are not HIS ways and my THOUGHTS... Not HIS thoughts. Therefore, we can justify, reason and conclude all day... but in the end it is wrong and we have to ask ourselves if God's Word has final authority... or do we just think they look too cool.

May 25, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    Look, the Word says not to. I don't have a clue why it is such a big deal. I don't think it is, I personally wouldn't but it doesn't seem like it should be wrong. But frankly, I don't see how eating one little bite of fruit got Adam and Eve kicked out of the garden. I mean...come on, if we want to reason that one...we'd all agree it wasn't the smartest decision but the outcome of one little tiny wrong bite was HUGE! I guess I can only conclude that my ways are not HIS ways and my THOUGHTS....Not HIS thoughts. Therefore, we can justify, reason and conclude all day...but in the end it is wrong and we have to ask ourselves if God's Word has final authority.....or do we just think they look too cool.
    Hey Tessy777: Very well said. That's what's wrong with so-called-Christians today......they want to apply their own reasoning to get around what God said! If He said[ don't do it; then don't do it. It's very difficult for me to understand why people have a problem with that.
    WE ARE LIVE CONSECRATED, SEPERATED LIVES. IF THAT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE DOING, MAYBE WE'RE NOT WHERE WE THINK WE ARE.
    THERE IS NO JUDGING HERE BY ME.....I DON'T HAVE THAT RIGHT. THE WORD OF GOD WILL JUDGE US ALL AT THE END OF THE ROAD!!!:cool:
    /COLOR]
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

May 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
    There is nothing in the New Testament that suggests tattooing or piercing is a sin.
    Show me your references other than Levitical Law where you draw this conclusion.
    If we lived by Lev. Law, we would be putting a lot of people to death today!
    The closest instruction I found is in 1Corinthians 6:19-20
    19Do you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    So to me if a tattoo dishonors God- like a demon or the like- then it's offensive to the Lord.

BTW-
    Definitely a tattoo of 666 on the right hand or forehead will equate to damnation! :eek:
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

May 25, 2007, 02:53 PM
    It is under the law... and we are under grace. But here is the thing.. we are to live holy and set apart lives and tatoos are markings like we are just part of the world. I define world to mean people without Christ. Just because we are not under the Law (and we aren't)... doesn't mean we chuck it. It is still God's principles and he is the same today, yesterday and forever. I believe it to be wrong.

May 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrotia
    There is nothing in the New Testament that suggests tattooing or piercing is a sin.
    show me your references other than Levitical Law where you draw this conclusion.
    If we lived by Lev. law, we would be putting a lot of people to death today!
    The closest instruction I found is in 1Corinthians 6:19-20
    19Do you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    So to me if a tattoo dishonors God- like a demon or the like- then it's offensive to the Lord.

BTW-
    Definitely a tattoo of 666 on the right hand or forehead will equate to damnation! :eek:
    Your reference to ICor. Is correct, and my point is that if any scripture; either OT or NT gets within 100 miles of something questionable to a Child of God, then why not abstain? To me, it's not worth the chance of offending the Lord.
    BTW, I'm having difficulty in the copy/paste of scripture from Word to this forum. Can you offer tips?
    -

May 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
    I think that excessive tattooing & piercing wrong in some way because then it falls into the category of addictions, self-control & lust-of which should be consecrated. I like what St. Paul said in 1Cor.6:12-"but I will not be mastered by anything." He was referring to the body.
    But what about the tattooed person who becomes a new Christian? I don't consider them any less a Christian. God sees the heart & mind. I don't think He cares if he's green or blue.

As far as Word- you can ask the moderators for assistance. Or use Bible.org to copy/paste.

I'm not savvy with the pc:confused:
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 2, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it? Joe
    Personally, I believe that the body is temple of the Holy Spirit. To tattoo the body as a Christian would be like putting graffiti on the wall of your local church. However, I've known good Christian men who had tattoos. My dad was one. He got a couple of tattoos during WWII before he accepted Christ. There is also only one unforgivable sin and that's blasphemy of the Holy Ghost. Are you willing to defile your body after becoming a Christian? Not me personally but that's a choice that you get to make. God gave all of us free will. How we use that gift is the purpose of our earthly journey. This life is a testing ground.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 3, 2007, 07:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Retrotia]There is nothing in the New Testament that suggests tattooing or piercing is a sin.
    Show me your references other than Levitical Law where you draw this conclusion.QUOTE]

1 Corinthians 3:16&17, "Know ye not that ye are the Temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the Temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the Temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."

First of all, the above verses kind of say it all for me. Secondly, God gave you a natural adornment that should suffice. You don't see elephants or king snakes artificially changing their outside appearance to draw attention to themselves. Their beauty is in what they already are. Be satisfied with the gifts that God gave you. Be God centered... not self centered.

Jun 3, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    Personally, I believe that the body is temple of the Holy Spirit. To tattoo the body as a Christian would be like putting graffiti on the wall of your local church. However, I've known good Christian men who had tattoos. My dad was one. He got a couple of tattoos during WWII before he accepted Christ. There is also only one unforgivable sin and that's blasphemy of the Holy Ghost. Are you willing to defile your body after becoming a Christian? Not me personally but that's a choice that you get to make. God gave all of us free will. How we use that gift is the purpose of our earthly journey. This life is a testing ground.
    Good point of view!! :)
    -

Jun 3, 2007, 07:34 PM
    [QUOTE=ActionJackson]
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrotia
    show me your references other than Levitical Law where you draw this conclusion.QUOTE]

1 Corinthians 3:16&17, "Know ye not that ye are the Temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the Temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the Temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."

First of all, the above verses kind of say it all for me. Secondly, God gave you a natural adornment that should suffice. You don't see elephants or king snakes artificially changing their outside appearance to draw attention to themselves. Their beauty is in what they already are. Be satisfied with the gifts that God gave you. Be God centered...not self centered.
    I guess you're right. I personally don't like tattoos. Perhaps for all of the above reasons.
    E3317 Posts: 103, Reputation: -5

Jun 6, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Comment on TheSavage's post
    True
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Comment on Megg's post
    AMEN!
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Comment on ActionJackson's post
    I see your point, but why could it not be viewed as painting a picture, rather than graffity?
    dre4real Posts: 2, Reputation: 4

Jun 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
    From my experience, tatoos have very often (not necssarily always) been an outward expression of someone's inner pain. I personally feel that a tattoo is not the issue. Anything can be an issue with a wrong or unhealed heart. If you can grasp your righteousness (ability to stand in God's Presence w/out shame or inferieority)through and in Christ, then only there you will find what's "INSIDE" you that really fulfills the desire God has for you.
    What's my point?
    My point is simple. With everything you do, in what way does it advance the Kingdom. God's wisdom commands us to seek first His Kindgom, which is inside you.
    Your value in Christ must be realized. Legalism and religion will not bring you freedom. Love will bring you freedom. If you are looking for something to love in a tattoo, then you need to understand that there is no purpose or glory in seeking something that is lower than your own self-worth. Look a little higher and a little deeper beneath the flesh.

THe Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not find myself wanting.

Amen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Unforgivable Sin? [ 68 Answers ]

I know there are many different nominations and beliefs and opinions about the subject of sin. So here goes. Have any of you heard about the UNFORGIVABLE SIN? If you have exactly what is this unforgivable sin. At the same time I thought all sin can be forgiven? What is your take? Joe

Original Sin [ 13 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone might have a theroy on Original Sin? There has been so much speculation over hundreds of years and I would like to hear what you think. Thanks:confused:

Removing tattoos [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, I want to know how tattoos are removed. Is it painfull?? Is it expensive??

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

Dog tattoos [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently taken in a lost Doxie. He has numbers tattooed on his tummy. Do you know what for?

View more questions Search