Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallchris Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2010, 08:19 PM
    Water Heater - Hot Line Always Hot
    My hot side on my water heater is always hot. Is this normal? If not what could be causing this?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 31, 2010, 10:11 PM

Yep, this is normal to a certain extent. Usually the heat will radiate up a couple feet on the hot and cold lines. However, if you have a recirc pump on the system, the whole hot water line will be hot. Also, a leaky hot faucet in the home, or a faulty mixing valve will cause the hot water line to be constantly hot.
    rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

Jan 1, 2011, 10:44 AM
    You may have what I like to call, a free recirculation system. IF you have hot water almost instantly
    At any of your mixer valves that are down stream from the heater. That's after a non use time of about an hour, your mixer may be bleeding hot to cold and causing a recirculation .the only problem with this is now your cold system is hot and your water heater will run more frequently. Check your hot water pipes that are
    Away from the heater after non use. If you have blazing hot pipes all day there is something allowing the hot water to flow IE: as the man said a mixer valve is usually the culprit.

Jan 1, 2011, 03:07 PM
    I know little to nothing about plumbing, but got the wikipedia answer on what a mixing valve is. Where would these be located? I appreciate both of your answers, but neither of you have confirmed my fears. This of course is good news.
    What are the chances that I have a cracked hot water line under my slab? Would this cause the heater to constantly be piping hot?
    Since my hot line on my water heater is constantly hot, is this likely to wear my water heater out fast?

Jan 1, 2011, 03:07 PM
    Comment on rojo1's post
    If possible could I get your advice on my latest post to my question?

Jan 1, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Comment on mygirlsdad77's post
    If possible could I get your advice on my latest post to my question?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2011, 04:00 PM

Any single handle fuacets contain mixing cartridges. And yes, it is possible that there is a leak under the slab, but I really hope this isn't the case. With all fixtures shut off, go to the water meter and see if it is moving at all. If it is, this indicates a leak in the system. Hoping you the best of luck.
    rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

Jan 1, 2011, 09:39 PM
    I agree with MGD if your concerned about a leak, turn all faucets and any automatic watering devices off.
    Then go to your water meter and see if its moving at all. It should be totally still or show no flow
    Whatsoever.If your good up to this point,then by touching the hot lines down stream you will have an idea
    What direction the hot water is being drawn because they too will be hot. There is the possibility that
    Someone may have installed a thermal bypass valve under a sink or behind a shower to produce instant hot
    Water to that device. I don't want to confuse you so I won't get into that right now.the mixers we spoke of
    Are valves (usually shower/tub) single handle operators, that combine hot ands cold water by positioning
    The handle in various positions,they give desired temp. these valves come in many styles and manufacturers
    And each has a cartridge that is connected to the operating handle.any place hot and cold are mixed can be
    Suspect in a bleedover so find all your mixers and try to isolate. Keep me posted.
    unitedleak Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Good call rojo. Turn off all of the water using features in your home, and then take a look at the water meter. A small star or triangle on the top of the meter is the leak indicator, and may be spinning (no matter how fast). Then go back into your home and turn off the water supply to the water heater. Take another look at the meter. If the leak indicator has stopped, then you likely have a leak on the hot water line somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

No water in hot or cold bathroom sink after flushing my gas hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you. I flushed my hot water heater last night. I only turned the cold water intake to the heater off and on BUT now, after the flush, my second floor bathroom sink faucets (both hot and cold) don't work at all. The shower and the tub in the bathroom work but NOT the sink- HELP! Thanks so...

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

Low pressure from hot water heater all line [ 1 Answers ]

We have put in new hot water heater all line out have no pressure new place in home center of house took out gas water heater out how do I fix low pressure problem

Return circulation line vs. Additional hot water heater. [ 4 Answers ]

It takes a long time for hot water to reach my bathroom. I am considering installing either an additional hot water heater near the bathroom or a return circulation line. Which would be the most economical over time? Also, if I chose the return circulation line, is there anything specific I need...

View more questions Search