Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Line chart question
    I am trying to make a line graph template for my teachers to use. It would have two lines, one showing data entries for a student, up to 20 entries. The second line is the goal for the student. It would only have two entries, beginning (#1) and ending (#20). I can't get the goal line to show up correctly. It will put the data markers, but not connect them with a line. Is there any way to have Excel put the line for the goal data?

I have attached the file. The final version will be locked other than areas where teachers will enter data.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Prog Monitor prototype.xls (19.5 KB, 128 views)
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 1, 2011, 11:38 AM

With only 3 points of data in the second series I don't know how to make it display alongside the other data set. All the graphs I've ever done have an equal number of data points.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2011, 05:53 PM

I was afraid that would be the answer. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.
    Software Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 01:27 AM

Well, I learned something new today. Using the CHART menu, I added a "trendline" to the Goal series, Polynomial > Order = 6 and it "faked" the connecting line nicely on that series. Have a look...
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: xls Prog Monitor prototype.xls (21.0 KB, 110 views)
    Software Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 03:52 PM

One more way...

1) Click on the chart.
    2) Select Tools > Options > Chart > Plot Empty Cells As: Interpolated
    Attached Files
  5. File Type: xls Prog Monitor prototype.xls (20.5 KB, 133 views)
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 04:58 PM

I am just about convinced you really are a rocket scientist! Thanks for the great answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel line chart - no lines [ 9 Answers ]

I made an excel line chart for church attendance on Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Thursday night. The markers are there to show the attendance, but there are no connecting lines even though I chose line chart. I have made a line chart before and it did have the lines. Does anyone know why...

Ask a question about a movie line [ 1 Answers ]

What was the line Bruce Willis used after Ben Affleck was sent back up the shuttle tube at the end of the movie Something like it seemed like a good idea?

Bidding Chart or Price Chart [ 4 Answers ]

I need an example of a bidding chart or price chart... to estimate the a price when I bid on a place to clean. I'm in the office cleaning business.

Excel line chart with "confidence band" [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this forum and need help with a line chart in Excel. I have 40 years of annual data, each expressed as a mean with a confidence interval (CI) having an upper limit (UL) and a lower limit (LL). Instead of plotting the data using error bars to show the CI, I wanted to plot 3...

View more questions Search