Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sami83 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Leaking breasts
    Hi, I had my second son 2 years ago, I never breastfed him,I was leaking milk still a few months after from both breasts, I went to see my doc in 05 they did a blood test it came back clear nothing abnormal they told me to return in 6 months, I never did, they still continued to leak ( only dribbles when sqeezed manily blushes:o ) I went to see my doc 2 weeks ago she sent me for another blood test, and told me to ring up for the results in 7 days, I rang today I was told I had to speak to the nurse I did and she said she couldn't tell me the results over the phone ( in 05 she told me they where clear on the phone) she said I had to see the doc, I'm worried why couldn't she tell me over the phone, I thought if they are clear then she would have said so like last time?
    The next time the female doc is on is next teusday I have to wait till then to see her, got all weekend to worry, I also have the coil I have had it since April 05 but was leaking milk before I had it put in, people are telling me not to worry but I can't help it:confused:
    Any advice would be great to put my mind at rest
    Thank you
    Sami xxx
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Sami, it could be anything from a minor infection on up.

Do you do a regular monthly self-breast exam? If not, I can help you learn how to do that.

Also please read the link in my signature, it will explain where I am coming from.

Jan 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
    I do checks and I have found nothing, could this infection be ongoing for 2 years? Thank you for the reply xx
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 12:30 PM
    It could possibly be a form of mastitis, which is an inflammation of the breast tissue putting pressure on the milk ducts or milk glands.

Typically breast cancer is rarely in both breasts at the same time. So, I doubt it is that. See, to determine breast cancer they find it from a lump or a mamogram and then do a biopsy of the tissue. So I would not be concerned there if I were you.

Jan 11, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Thank you, I do feel a lot better knowing that it couldn't be breast cancer, how do they treat mastits? Antibiotics?
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Usually with antibiotics.

Now one of the symptoms of certain kinds of breast cancer is leaking, like I had, but remember it is extremely rare that it happens in both breasts at the same time.

Another thing, when they take your blood they are looking for signs of infection, unless the doctor ordered otherwise. Which is rare that s/he would if you have no reason to suspect cancer.

Your white blood cell count would indicate infection if it is high. That would be why he would want to see you. He would probably want to do a breast exam and then prescribe antibiotics for you.
    casey29 Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Jan 11, 2007, 01:48 PM
    I Have The Same Problem As You Kind of. In 1996 I Had My Son. Ididnt Really Breast Him. When I Finnally Got The Milk I Was Totally Engourged They Were Huge. After He Was Born I Got 1 Of The Depra Birthcontrol Shots .I Never Totally Ran Out Of Milk. After Lactating For At Least 1.5years The Did Lots Of Test. All The Hormne Levels Were In Range, No Infections, The Only Thing They Could Come Up With That The Lactation Was Caused By The Depra Shot.for The Next Seven Years I Had A Small Amount Of Milk That Would Come Out If Provocted Then At Year7 I Had My Daughter, Same Situation. The Lactating From Both Nipples Has Contiued On For About4 More Years.like You I Have Been Checked, And Chected Over And Over Still Lactating And Don't Have A Clue As To Why!if You Find Anything During Your Reserech Please Email Me To Let Me Know.
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Casey, please turn off your CAPS! It looks as though you are yelling

Jan 17, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Hi, I went for the results and the came back normal, my doctor gave me some tablets called bromocriptine they stop me producing milk, I have to take one a day, I took my first one today after I had my dinner at 1pm, at 3pm I felt drowsy and fell asleep this is not like me I don't sleep through the day, I only had 15 minutes because I had to go out to pick my son up from school, I didn't feel right when I was out I felt lightheaded, my sister said I didn't look right I was pale and looked tired, when I got home I sat down for a bit then got up to make tea, I felt sick so I went to the toilet to be sick but on my way, my eyes where all blurred next thing I knew I was on the floor with my husband shouting my name, I said what happened he said I don't know I think you passed out, he told me he thought I was joking and the kids where jumping allover me, I couldn't feel them! I was confused when I woke, I carried on as normal but was sick 10 minutes later, was this a side effect from the tablet? My husband said I to take another tomorrow but I'm scared the same will happen:(
    If it happens whne I'm on my own woth my youngest what do I do? Shall I go back to my doc again?
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Are you on any blood pressure medicine?

What strength of the drug are you on?

Do you drink any alcohol?

These questions are VERY important to know so that I can help you further.

These side effects are actually quite common, however yours sound a little overboard if you know what I mean. It is like your side effects are magnified by something.

You should also know that if you are using oral contraceptives, birth control pill, that you should also use another form of protection while on this med as it decreases the effectiveness of the pill.

You should at least call your pharmacist/chemist to see whether you should continue taking this medicine.

Jan 17, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Are you on any blood pressure medicine?

What strength of the drug are you on?

Do you drink any alcohol?

These questions are VERY important to know so that I can help you further.

Im not on any blood pressure medicine
    The strength I'm on is 2.5mg
    And I haven't had a drink since xmas day

I still feel very nauseas (sp?) now and its 10.32 pm :(
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Did you take it on an empty stomach? It is important that you take it with meals. It is possible that your doctor may need to decrease the amount prescribed. You are currently on the max prescribed for the condition called hyperprolactinemia. The minimum suggested dosage is 1.25 mg. It may also be better to take it at bedtime so that you sleep through these side effects. Typically these side effects will go away within a few days.

As I said try taking it before bedtime on a full stomach.

What you have is called hyperprolactinemia, I believe. Does the lactation seem to increase with sleep and/or stress?

Jan 18, 2007, 02:55 AM
    I took it after I had my dinner but I will discuss it with my doc, she didn't give me much info about the tabs, just said take these and showed me out, the lactation is the same but increases after sex
    Maricruz Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Feb 6, 2007, 09:41 PM
    I had your same problem 15 years ago. Don't panic please, it was a BENIGN Pituitary Tumor. It did require surgery but I came through it with flying colors. I would suggest that you talk to your OB and mention this and have them do an MRI of your pituitary gland. They also suggested the bromocriptine route, but this meant that I couldn't get pregnant. The surgery was a success and a couple of kids later...
    Please talk to your doctor and have them research this possibility. If the tumor goes unchecked, in a few years it can cause blindness as it presses on the optic nerve.

I hope it's just an overactive pituitary gland... though... let us know...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breasts leaking milk why? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi my breasts are leaking milk and I don't know why I'm not sure if I'm preg's or not till next week when my period is due. If I'm not pregnant why are my boobs leaking is this normal? My youngest daughter is 5 yrs so its been a while since they have been in use. Lol:)

Leaking breasts [ 2 Answers ]

I am 38 and have started leaking a clear fluid from my right nipple is this cause for concern

Leaking breasts [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 34 she has 4 children the youngest is 9 months old. She had the coil fitted shortly after her last child and has been putting on weight around her tummy ever since so much so that I thought she may be pregnant she has had a test which is negative but now her breasts are leaking...

Leaking breasts [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I had a daughter 3yrs ago and also had the coil fitted and my boobs have started to leak milk and I wanted to now what it could mean I am pregnant and if so is the coil harmin the baby

Leaking Breasts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a almost 7 month old son, who would not breastfeed from day one, When he was about 2 monthes my breasts stopped producing milk and weeping, Today I woke up and my breasts were leaking, not milk but the clear fluid before I get the milk, could I be pregnant again ? Thank you, ...

View more questions Search