Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lennyrats Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 12:06 PM
    How can I verify a Candian citizenship as I have a copy of the person's passport?
    What are the things on a passport that gives any indication a passport from Canada is valid?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2010, 12:18 PM

The affidavit written in crayon that says its real, trust them taped to the back?

Actually there are a number of things... its not one single thing any of which can signal its conterfeit to those who see them every day. Besides the computer system that scans it. Therre are good fakes and bad fakes... but when scanned by customs people the computer system presents information on file that will match if its real.

Why are you asking?

Jan 3, 2011, 05:22 AM
    The owner of the passport is over in Africa who I met through the Internet for romance. From me, she needs flight money to come to U.S. I asked to see her passport and she sent it via the Internet. How can I verify if it's real?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 05:24 AM

It's not real. Let me guess, she's from Ghana, right?

This is the #1 scam on the internet right now.

Jan 3, 2011, 05:28 AM
    Close its Nigeria
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 11:49 AM

Scam 100%...

By the way, you can contact any Canadian consulate to verify authenticity.

Jan 3, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Thanks lawanwadee, J_9 and Smoothy, for your feed backs. I do have an inquiry with the Canadian authorities to verify the personal information I have on file. I have yet to get their reply. Lennyrats
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyrats View Post
    The owner of the passport is over in Africa who I met through the Internet for romance. From me, she needs flight money to come to U.S. I asked to see her passport and she sent it via the Internet. How can I verify if it's real?
    I can save you time... just send the money to me and I'll at least thank you for it and not pretend anything more. That's more than they are doing to you right now, which is playing you for a sucker.

You won't see the money... and you certainly won't see them. I'll bet its not even really a woman doing it.

What you said AFTER my initial response shows a classic scam. And not even an original one at that. Cut your losses and walk away right now... before you loose more than you have already.

I can guarantee you there is zero chance they are legitimate. THere is no way for you to know they are who they claim to be IF by chance the passport is even a real one. You do know they would need a VISA to even visit... and you can't stay on a tourist visa. Ever give any thought as to why they can't do it at all from there as they claim... or how they don't have money for any of this stuff, yet somehow are able to get online?
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Jan 3, 2011, 01:08 PM

I agree with the other responses.

It seems very unusual that she is looking to you, someone she hasn't ever met in person for money. Most people would look to relatives, friends, co-workers, neighbors, old family friends, people from church, etc.

Please be careful, I hope you find what you are looking for.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 04:22 PM

Please see here for more information to your query

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/visas-...ns-171375.html
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 04:30 PM

There's a very quick way to end this. Simply tell the girl/guy/goat that you don't have any money. You're broke. You don't have a dime to your name.

My bet is you'll never hear from her/he/goat again.

This is all about the money. If they can soak you for every penny you've got, they will.

It's scary how common this scam has become and how many people are still falling for it. Don't become the next victim. Be happy that you found out now what you're dealing with.

Joining a reputable dating site is a lot less risky than this. If you're looking for love, that's a good place to start.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    There's a very quick way to end this. Simply tell the girl/guy/goat that you don't have any money. You're broke. You don't have a dime to your name.

My bet is you'll never hear from her/he/goat again.

This is all about the money. If they can soak you for every penny you've got, they will.

It's scary how common this scam has become and how many people are still falling for it. Don't become the next victim. Be happy that you found out now what you're dealing with.

Joining a reputable dating site is a lot less risky than this. If you're looking for love, that's a good place to start.
    Why people get suckered into this scam when so many women are available HERE is beyond understanding. Its not like India or China where they have been aborting so many girl babies for years there are not enough women to go around there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 08:50 PM

They can send me the money and I will even send a better fake passport and love letters.

But if they were there, they can merely go the their embassy there and get help getting out of the country.

Also if they were real, you could send the money to their embassy and they could pick it up there.

Next the passport could be real, they may have stolen it off someone, so verifying it would do no good.

Also what city in Canada are they from, who were their neighbors, and so on.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 08:55 PM

They can send me the money and I will even send a better fake passport and love letters.
    Chuck, what's the going rate for a good love letter? I have a few bucks laying around. No passport though.

Personally I'm a bit mad. This person living in Nigeria can get a Canadian passport, but I live in Canada, have for almost 37 years, and I can't get a passport. Of course I'm not Canadian, but I doubt the person that's contacting the OP is Canadian either. Not fair.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 09:16 PM

Well of course I would write you sweat letters at no cost anytime,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to verify if someone has legal citizenship? [ 14 Answers ]

My brother is dating a girl from Morocco. She currently lives in the US and my brother wants to marry her only after a short period. My family and I think she is using him in order to become a US citizen, but we do not know how to prove if she is already. She has only been in the US for one...

How do we verify citizenship when parents are naturalized [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was born to a Central American Mother and American Father. In 1954 his family moved to the US. His mother was naturalized in 1958. My husband was 8 years old. The birth certificate my husband has is for the country he was born in. It states his father was an American Citizen. ...

Can I verify a person's you.S. Citizenship? [ 2 Answers ]

My 76-year-old, father-in-law is going to marry a Russian-born woman 20 years his junior. How do we verify she has passed the naturalization test and is now a U.S. citizen? Is this public record?

How to verify legal citizenship? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I verify someone has become a legal citizen? They have been here over 30 years from Panama, but I have doubts they are legally here. How do I check?

View more questions Search