Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 09:40 AM
    I need your help with smoking
    Well I haven't had a cigi since 8am this morning it was the last one now I've tried on numerous occasions to quit smoking and I'm just not flipping strong enough to do it I always cave in.
    Now I know there's no easy way to do this and I have to admit boy am I feeling dizzy and funny but I can't give in I need to do this for millie not just for myself.

So is there anyone out there with any words of wisdom and don't what ever you do lecture me on what's in a cigi it won't do a thing the women at the clinic tried that and I just laughed and said look I already have arsonic in me so that's really not going to scare me into stopping. I want support not a telling off after all I'm an adult not a pubescent teen.

Thank in advance hugs

Laura
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Laura,

I hope you can do this. I too would like to quit, but with the stress of school and all I find it hard.

I am not going to give you the lecture, I hear it from Rae all the time.

My mother-in-law sucked on Jolly Rancher Candies every time she wanted one, that helped her quit.

I may just have to try it with you!!

I'll think about it tomorrow. LOL
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Thing is I don't actually enjoy it anymore I do it to stay calm so that's the problem I need to find another way to channel my stress...
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Hey Laura,

Guess who is in the same boat as you?? Yup, Good ole Allheart. What I did was I made a calendar and each day I made a goal of how many cigarettes I would allow myself. I started at 16. However, because I was conscious of when I was smoking I actually came in under the goal. I am now down to for a day. That is in about a week and half's time.

Oh the first week I was so sick and dizzy. When I got the urge for a cig, I popped a cough drop in my mouth and drank lots of water. It really does help.

There is also a medicine, which I am not on, that helps with the withdraw, but I do not think it is available in the UK so I will not even tease you with it, but maybe there is something comparable in the UK.

Laura, we can do this. I am so determined. My doc told me that I look fine now, but in 5 years I will look actually 10 years older than I am. Uh, no thanks, the heck with my lungs, I refuse to look older that I am…hee hee. Just kiddn, but my doc actually did say that.

We can be quit buddies if you like. There is no way I could go cold turkey. But that is just me. Laura to be honest, as I am lowering the number of cigs a day, I am getting to the point where I don't even want to smoke the whole thing. Honest. As the levels of nicotine lessen in my system, so does my desire to have one.

After the first week, the urges were a lot less. But we are fighting it on two fronts, physical addiction and then the habit addiction.

What do you think about setting daily goals. Make a calendar, maybe just for a week, and start with a reasonable number. Normally I would smoke about 20 to 23 a day. So I started my goal at 16.

I am here for you Laura, we are going to kick these cigs!! See, that is where I am with it. I am sick of it. I don't enjoy it and nobody loves us smokers anymore :(. So I just thought now is the time to kick some serious cigarette butt :)

I will be here for both you and J_9. We are stronger than those blasted cigarettes.!
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Ah, Allheart!!

Okay, gals, I just tapped one out! Let's see how long I can go before the next one!!

We can do this!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Well I've had two today I just caved I'm going to get some of these later tonight...
    eBay.co.uk: AMAZING!!!! NOW QUIT,HELPS YOU STOP & GIVE UP SMOKING (item 170069514023 end time 14-Jan-07 11:01:05 GMT)
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Oh, Laura, you and EBAY!! LOL:D
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Laura,

I quit not that long ago... (in 2002) and I swear I want a cigi everyday. I now eat tick tacks or some other breath mint when I want a cigi... or chew on a toothpick... no kidding there is something about it resting against my lip that calms my craving. You can do it!! Whatever you do... when you give in and have one... don't beat yourself up over it... just chalk it up to an oops and start all over again trying.

It took me like 6 months of slowly decreasing my number until finally I was like enough is enough... and I have not smoked since January 2002.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:26 AM
    I actually think that's the only way I'm going to do it to gradually not smoke because the thought of just stopping scares the wits out of me.

I really like allhearts advice and I'm certainly going to give it a go.
    We just have to find a way for ben to do the same too he has smoked a lot longer than I have though but we can all do it can't we.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Way to go Tuscany.

j_9 what I did was when I decided what my goal was ( 16 to start) that is all that I put in my pack. 16 that is it. j_9 you know you can do this... :):)

Tuscany, it is so good to hear someone else weened themselves off. Most people say they went cold turkey, not me... no way. But it worked for them. Thanks for sharing, it makes me more determined :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I quit and Todd my husband still smokes. It definitely makes it harder. But now I find him trying... maybe you can motivate Ben.

Best of Luck!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Hehehehehehe ill motivate him all right a big stick and the cupboard under the stairs sounds good giggle ;)
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    I actually think thats the only way im gonna do it to gradually not smoke because the thought of just stopping scares the wits out of me.

I really like allhearts advice and im certainly gonna give it a go.
    We just have to find a way for ben to do the same too he has smoked alot longer than i have though but we can all do it can't we.

Laura, my hubby smokes too. And he desires to quit as well. He is going to see the docs for the medicine that helps with the withdraw. So I bet Ben will follow your lead. And don't worry if you think Ben smoking will entice you to smoke, it won't. Well, it didn't for me. When I was winding down, and hubby was smoking, it didn't entice me at all. It kind of stunk... PU :) LOL.

I will tell you guys that I was not feeling very well the first week. A little dizzy, a little shakey and confused. Hubby would tell you all, that's just me normally :):) I tell you all this so you are not concerned and I promise you it passes :)

Oh I am excited for all of us. My calendar is right on my fridge. And each day I get a nice star for going below goal. But remember, only put in the number of cigs for that day.

Pretty soon, we are all going to be one of those Ex smokers that just haunts the heck out of smokers trying to get them to quit... hee hee. I hope I don't get like that.

My best to all :):)
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
    All heart- My friend just quit in November by gradually decreasing the amount that she smoke... then she labeled a pack "last pack." When that was done so was she. She has not smoked since then... and she has more then enough reason to start again... she found her boyfriend of 15 years in bed with another woman. She stayed strong. I was so impressed.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:38 AM
    WoW Tuscany.

Good for her. That is such a shame. So glad she stayed strong. Why should she hurt herself even more? Oh my.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:51 AM
    You go, girls! If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed. Quitting more than once is OK, as long as quitting is what you do last. It's harder for some people than for others, that's true. Life is not fair. The real question isn't how hard it is, but how bad you want to quit. When you want to quit more than you want to smoke, it will be easy. As far as cutting down gradually vs. cold turkey, it's not a moral issue, it's what works for you. Keep us posted. I volunteer to cheer as needed.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Oh ill need cheering on all right hehehehehe anyone else going to join our little bandwagon??
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Well, I could use a cheer right now! I just finished lunch and would LOVE that after lunch smoke. But I will hold out!! :confused:

I have no problem getting through an 8 or 12 hour shift at the hospital without having one. I don't have a problem while in school, the drive up there is an hour and we don't smoke in the car.

My problem is when I am studying, doing homework, and talking to Laura!! :eek:
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Thanks OG, you are so right. When going through the "fun" of quitting, it is the strong desire to quit that gets you through the urges.

j_9, Rah Rah, put the ciggy down :)

j_9, what I did was stayed within my numbers for the day, and as the days were progressing, gradually removed the most enjoyable times. Such as after eating. Aren't they the best cigs after eating? Now I refuse to have one after meals.

But OG is so right, the success of quitting and how to quit is unique as the person. But for me, thinking of cold turkey made me spin like a top.

Also, when I only wanted a couple of puffs, I purposely asked hubby for one of his (who doesn't smoke the same as me) so it would be less enjoyable.

As I started to wean down, I noticed I didn't want to smoke the whole thing, so I would put it out and save it for the next time I needed a couple of puffs.

I really just got so tired of being a prisoner to the stinkin things!!

We can and will do this!!
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Most of the time I light one and it burns out because I forgot that I had one lit while studying or whatever.

Sometimes just holding an unlit one in my fingers gets me through the cravings, then I put it back in the pack. Sometimes it is just the psychological part that can be hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

Smoking and dancing [ 14 Answers ]

This is sort of a similar question to the one I asked about wine and spirits. I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? Dancing is mentioned lots of times in the...

Tower-Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it. My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much. Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled...

View more questions Search