Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I quit with the first of the year, and it's AWFUL! Right now I don't CARE what the long term benefits are... because the long term benefits are not helping NOW!

The only thing stopping me from lighting up is how much it would disappoint my husband.

Get some soda straws. Sucking/chewing on them has helped me some.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Exactly. I remember driving to work and passing the road where I would normally light a up, I would crave something fierce... But it was all in my head. Humans are such creatures of habit.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Jan 11, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Way to go girls! Glad to hear someone has willpower!

I went to the doctor in November to help me get on something to quit smoking! (I guess I am tired of the doctor lecturing me every time I went in for a sinus infection or bronchitis).

He prescribed Chantix. It consists of (2) 12 week courses. Each course is a little over $100.00. When he prescribed it to me, it was too close to Christmas to stop (I know... an excuse)! With my next paycheck... I will go pick up my prescription (1/18/07). I have quit several times. The last 2 times I tried to quit I gained 10 pounds:eek: the first time and 15 pounds:eek: the second time (that was in a matter of 2 to 3 months time)! Being single yet, I can't afford to gain weight! Chantix is a new drug and he says that it has an appetite suppressant in it!:D Also, this drug is to help you gradually quit smoking. My dad teases me and tells me the only way to do it is cold turkey! But... I can't!

Good luck to you all and keep me informed!!
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Jan 11, 2007, 11:28 AM
    I don't smoke, but I love to eat. I swear trying not to snack between meals is just as hard as not smoking!! :eek: You guys may laugh, but when a person tries to lose 10 lbs--it is hard as $hit for me.

I have tried everything, diet pills, sucking on $hit, so on and so forth. So if you all don't mind I'm going to stick here with you with the eating thing instead of the smoking thing. Cause right now I am starving and I am looking a quarter vending machine thinking about those M & M's and would love a handful. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have tried a big glass of water when I am hungry and I feel like I am floating!!

So you go girls with your non-smoking and I will go girl with the snacking and trying to lose weight. God!! One pound would feel good right now and I cannot even do that. Errrr

Have a good day gals!!
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Welcome to the "funroom" Bim!! Yup, we are all in this together. So we will kick the cigs and the vending machines.

Synnen, don't get discourgaed. Your right, thinking of the long term effects isn't cutting it when you just want to light one up. Buuuuut, we will not have to stand out in the cold, in the heat, in the rain, like poor souls any longer!!

Stay strong.

Single4 - I know we can do this!!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 11:46 AM
    BIM-
    My new addiction is cheese and crackers... and red wine.

Has anyone seen Good Morning America this week. They are doing a one week without __________ (you fill in the blank). I chose cheese, crackers and wine. It is an interesting piece that they have done. I think you can check it out online. It fits right into our conversation.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Tuscany,

I love your new additiction. Nothing wrong with that... move over and pour me a glass :) (please :)

I will check out the show. Thanks

Jan 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    BIM-
    My new addiction is cheese and crackers...and red wine.
    I LOVE cheese and crackers also, I LOVE anything salty, but there is something about M & M's, especially the new miniature kisses that are covered in a candy shell...

This really is hard...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Okay BIM, I'll snack for you and you smoke for me!! :eek:

Jan 11, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Okay BIM, I'll snack for you and you smoke for me!!!:eek:
    Now, Now, I think you are getting the better end of the butt... (he-he)
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
    LOL, I just thought sister in surname that we could switch!!
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 12:23 PM
    LOL oh my word we have gone from kicking the most filthy habbit ever to eating you know what after my years of training as a chef food is my least favourite thing :)

Jan 11, 2007, 12:23 PM
    THAT'S RIGHT!! Keith------maybe we're related!

You got the smokin' gene and I got the snackin' gene! :eek:
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Giggle poor BIM time to start carrying those boring healthy snacks lol they always put me right off

Jan 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    food is my least favourite thing :)
    OMG!! I wish I could say that... Holy crap :eek:
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
    LOL I eat because I have to rarely enjoy a meal I get half way through and get bored.
    Chocolate I can eat say half a bar and I've had enough
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Oh, I love the healthy snacks!! Well, cheese and crackers and those kisses (Kissables) too. I am not much into chocolate though.

Oh, yeah, BIM you got the snacking gene from Dad!!

I got the smokin gene from both but they both quit cold turkey!

Jan 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Giggle poor BIM time to start carrying those boring healthy snacks lol they always put me right off
    Ya, carrots, celery, blah blah blah.

CBWife---I bet your really skinny too!!

Are you doing better right now with smoking?? When you are kicking the habit is it an hour by hour thing or minute by minute?

With snacking it is minute by minute, while looking at the vending machine. :cool:
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
    HA skinny my arse I resemble a women who has had a child that can't be bothered to exercise hehehehehehe

Jan 11, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Oh, I love the healthy snacks!!! Well, cheese and crackers and those kisses (Kissables) too. I am not much into chocolate though.
    I think you're right, we ARE related!! I'm not much into chocolate either. I would take chips and dips any day. The m & m's are the onlything in the vending machine (which are yelling at me right now) (go away go away)

Does typing help with the nonsmoking---it has helped me with keeping my fingers busy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

Smoking and dancing [ 14 Answers ]

This is sort of a similar question to the one I asked about wine and spirits. I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? Dancing is mentioned lots of times in the...

Tower-Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it. My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much. Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled...

View more questions Search