Ask
    Timai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2003, 10:43 AM
    Birth of Jesus Christ
    When was Jesus Christ born ?
    cherepes Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Jan 21, 2003, 11:32 PM
    birth of Jesus Christ
    Nobody knows for sure the exact date or year. The year is generally accepted to be between 0 an 4 AD.

Cherepes
    dwalex Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Feb 4, 2003, 11:18 AM
    birth of Jesus Christ
    It is true that the exact date is not known. If you look closely at the early years of Christ in the Bible, king Herod ordered the death of all babies under age 2 so as two extinguish this "baby King of the Jews" he had heard of. King Herod's death is listed in my study Bible as between 4bc & 2bc. So this means that Jesus was born at least a year or so before King Herod died then Jesus must have been born 3-5 years before Jesus was born! What seems to have happened is that when the monk made the Christian calendar, he made a human mistake. There is also evidence that Jesus was born in warmer months and not in December when we celibrate Christmas as his birthday. All very interesting but certainly not answering you question!
    Have a great day,
    Dwalex
    chabat Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2003, 11:37 AM
    birth of Jesus Christ
    How do you start a new thread? I don't see any button like the help desk says..
    earthpages Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Feb 6, 2003, 12:01 AM
    birth of Jesus Christ
    Chabat click on the "Spirituality" folder icon, top left of this thread, then you should see where to ask a new question ;)
    chaz1797 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2003, 02:45 PM
    birth of Jesus Christ
    You know traditionally hey say it was Dec 25 of what year I don't know and it would be nice to really say this was the date, but I celebrate his birth on the 25th of the month since that is what has been instilled in me threw my family and catholic school... so hope you find your answer... Best of luck and God bless

Chaz ?
    juanruiz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2003, 11:14 AM
    birth of Jesus Christ
    Christians celebrate the Nativity on Dec 25 because that was originally the Winter Solstice. In other words, they "borrrowed" a pagan holiday. As for what year, the only two gospels to mention it don't agree. Herod did die in 4 BCE, so Matthew's version would put the birth somewhere in that time frame. Luke has Jesus born during the Great Census of Augustus, which took place in 6 CE. Since both stories were invented nearly a century after the event, it's likely they're both wrong.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 25, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by juanruiz
    Christians celebrate the Nativity on Dec 25 because that was originally the Winter Solstice. In other words, they "borrrowed" a pagan holiday. As for what year, the only two gospels to mention it don't agree. Herod did die in 4 BCE, so Matthew's version would put the birth somewhere in that time frame. Luke has Jesus born during the Great Census of Augustus, which took place in 6 CE. Since both stories were invented nearly a century after the event, it's likely they're both wrong.
    Your accusations that the Gospels were invented and that they were written at the late date you mention are merely your opinion and should not be presented as indisputable fact.

http://www.saint-mike.org/Apologetic...00920Sean.html

http://www.gotquestions.org/when-Gospels-written.html

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/14452.htm
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by juanruiz

Actually it was not borrowed, but forced. What was happening , you have to remember Christianity was a "outlaw" religion and you could be killed for being one. So when the Christians were not celebrating the winter Solstice they looked out of place. And if they tried to celebrate other Christian holidays on days when the non Christians were not celebrating, they stood out also.

So Christians took non religoius holidays and used their times for Christian holidays. This way the Christians could have their celebratons and not stand out and be arrested. I don't have my history book here but it is taught in Catholic history, the first Bishop of Rome to proclaim this celebratoni in the church is even listed.

It is funny how people who don't study and learn the truth, want to twist it to make it appear christians accepting incorrectly.

As for the actual birth date, birthdays were not celebrated in the early Jewish history, it was just antoher day, no celebraton at all. But by the bible it would have been in the spring.
    JULIEBALL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Well according to the bible the shepards were out in the fields with their herds soooooo... we know it would not be winter time because they would not have risked the chance of losing their herd. Also the romans would not have made the people travel in the hardes months for a census report this is somrthing that would have been done in the spring-fall.
    Christmas is not the time of jesus's birth there is no mention in the bible of any of jesus's deciples dragging a tree into their home putting decorations on it then going out and putting themselves into dept for the next year or two to buy gifts for everyone under the sun. christmas is nothing but a bunch of pegan holidays put together with the thought of christianity mixed into it so that christians could mix with the rest of rome(old times). To remember the birth of Christ is to do the ten commandments,treat all mankind with respect pray to God and keep his Sabbeth... the only times that he ever said that it is a sign between him a man is for man to keep the sabbeth... which is not on sunday(the day they used to worrishp the sun god) but on saturdays a lot of peple say that it was only for the jews well he said this before there was ever a jew. Jews did not come about before judah jacobs son . Ask the lord to open your eyes before you read your bible and collect different data study it all there is a lot of junk out there that is no goodso be careful,but there is also a lot out there that will be useful always pray and the lord will show you what is true or false.

BelieveInLove78 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2011, 03:12 PM
    Jesus Christ was born on December 25th. On Christmas.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

May 10, 2011, 06:47 PM

An exact date has never established.
    But what most experts agree on is he was born in the springtime aprox. 2046 years ago and that is about as close as anyone has been able to determine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-birth of Jesus [ 29 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is any mention of re-birth of jesus in the scriptures regarding approaximate time and place of jesus's second coming. I've heard from various sources that there's a chance that Jesus may be born in the Indian sub-continent rather than in the West. So please do let me know...

Did Jesus Ever Say He was God? [ 252 Answers ]

:confused: Is Jesus Christ God? Investigate these interesting claims... The earliest followers of Jesus all seemed pretty convinced that Jesus was fully God in human form. Paul said, "He is the image of the invisible God...in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell." John said...

Jesus and God [ 12 Answers ]

1 John 2:1 MY little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: An advocate is someone who pleads another's case before a judge, in this case God. I remembered this verse two days ago and...

Do Qumranic/Essense foundations of Christianity predate Jesus Christ? [ 9 Answers ]

Have you read the book, EDMUND WILSON. The Dead Sea Scrolls, 1947-1969, New York: Oxford University Press, 1969? As an eminent critic and author, Wilson has shown himself a man for all subjects. Though a self-confessed nonexpert on the scrolls, his narrative powers brought his work wide...

Jesus [ 17 Answers ]

When did jesus learn he was christ?

View more questions Search