Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 12:19 PM
    connecting PC to TV
    I'm trying to connect my PC to my TV

I'm using a DVI-D cable to connect the two

it boots up to the point where it usually asks me to put in my password, but instead I get a blank screen.

I can start it in safe mode and it will reach the password screen this way and I can enter the password and it will start normally (in safe mode)

I did previously have the resolution setting set to 1920x1080 and since this TV isn't 1080p I changed them down to the lowest 800x600, however when I tried to start my PC the same problem occurred.

I think it has something to do with something that starts up when my PC starts up normally, but I have no idea what it could be.

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers :)
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 12:28 PM

Don't boot it with it plugged into the TV. Use the monitor. Then try to plug it in after you've logged in.

Also, check the display settings.

There also might be a hotkey to switch display settings.

What OS are you using on your dekstop?
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Don't boot it with it plugged into the TV. Use the monitor. Then try to plug it in after you've logged in.
    I don't have a monitor, I have another TV which is 1080p and I can use to log into, difference being I'm using a hdmi cable to connect to that TV, also they're not close enough to each other to be able to just switch connection leads.

Also, check the display settings.
    There also might be a hotkey to switch display settings.

What should be looking for to change?

What OS are you using on your dekstop?
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Networking Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 12:37 PM

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display > Screen Resolution

or

Right-Click Desktop > Screen Resolution

What you're looking for is the option to connect to projector (should be at the bottom) I realize you're not connecting a projector but next to this option it should have a short-cut key to toggle video output.

Try this and let me know!
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 12:46 PM
    this is what that screen looks like do you mean the display tab? (oh this isn't an exact copy of that page as I'm on the laptop at the moment asking these questions so the display tab value isn't the same, but it is in the same style)
    Attached Images

Networking Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 12:51 PM

Actually I forgot I was on a laptop :(

You won't see this settings as you're using a desktop.

I have heard that some TV's don't allow for DVI-D connections between TV & PC.

So you are currently using a TV#1? But TV #2 won't work?
    Is TV 1 & 2 close to each other?
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 01:00 PM

TV1(the hdmi one) is the main family TV and time actually being able to use my PC is scarce, and TV 2 is way across on the other side of the room so unfortunately there isn't much chance of them getting near each other.

I know this TV has been used before as a display, but it was being connected to a laptop an I think it was probably via a vga cable :(

Hmmm I can log in (using safe mode though) so presumably it will work with a dvi cable but hmmmm :(
    Networking Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 01:21 PM

The fact that it can login and then goes blank implies it's a setting. Nothing seems to be wrong with the TV, cable, ports etc...

Hmm... research is in order ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 04:45 PM

Yea that's what I thought, the thing is what is it that's making it go to a blank screen, hmmm :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to TV [ 1 Answers ]

My TV picks up my laptop when laptop is loading, but as soon as it gets onto the user log in page the TV screen goes blank please help Debbie

Connecting to an outbuilding [ 3 Answers ]

I need to run electricity to a shed that is approximately 65' away from my subpanel. I assume that I can use underground wire instead of having to use conduit. I will only be supplying electricity to a small refrigerator and a couple of fluorescent lights. What wire size should be used and if I...

Connecting PC to TV [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first try at this so here goes.I am trying to connect my Bush LCDTV009HD TV to my PC which is running vista. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6600. When I start the system all seems to go OK then I loose the signal and the screen says no signal. When I start th PC in safe mode...

Connecting a PC to a TV [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a cable to hook up my PC to my TV so I can get the audio and video through my TV. I went to best buy the other day looking for one but couldn't find any. Thanks

Connecting two panels [ 1 Answers ]

We want to add another panel in our basement along side the original panel. This new panel has to have a 60 amp breaker and a 30 amp breaker with a 10 or 12-120 breakers. What size wire would be required to connect the two panes?

View more questions Search