Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wingfielddave Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Floor drain over flow when I use the washer.
    I have run a snake through the floor drain, and the main line. Do I need to run a snake through the vent on the roof?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 11:57 AM

Most floor drains have a plug slightly on the side after you remove the drain cover. Remove the plug and rod down that opening. You can try rodding from the roof but it's a long shot, you need enough rod to reach roof top to basement floor plus 20' http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...nt-floor-drain
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 06:17 PM

Hi all...

If you don't find a cleanout plug at the floor drain as Ballengerb1 suggested above then you may want to consider snaking through the vent as you asked about... read on.

I always prefer a straight shot compared to snaking through a PTRAP...

If you can gain access to the washing machine vent and snake down that I think you will have a better chance at clearing the drain line well.

If the vent is not easily accessed then maybe you could cut a cleanout into the washer vent and then snake the drain line... maybe?

In my opinion, snaking through a PTRAP (floor drain in this case) is just asking for trouble as you can only fit a small snake around the U shaped bend and if you end up snagging anything you may not be able to remove it through the PTRAP (unless snaking through plug at floor drain), so snaking through the vent pipe is always preferred, if possible.

Are you using a hand-held/hand-powered snake or an electric snake? An electric with a 3/8" minimum cable is best for this job (down the vent... not through the trap).

If you want to discuss more, let me know, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Washer and Floor Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Basement washer drains directly into the floor drain. Washer's drain hose is not connected to drain, it simply lays in it, but the water from the washer goes all over the floor. How and what is the best solution here?

Washer and dishwasher backing up into floor drain, help! [ 3 Answers ]

Purchased a one story house on a basement, built in late 70s. When we first moved in the washer would drain into the utility sink (beside it), and then excess would continue to drain come up in another sink in the next room (the wet bar). This occurred every time the washer was used. Now when we...

Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer ....

Washer overflow out of floor drain [ 2 Answers ]

During the spin cycles, when gallons upon gallons of water are getting purged from my washer into the draining sink next to the washer, the water has started coming out of a drain in the floor of my basement in between my washer and dryer. It looks like it's supposed to be going up out a couple...

Washer Drains, floor drain overflow [ 7 Answers ]

First of all, I don't have much knowledge about plumbing, but am eager to learn and tackle it myself before I have the pros come in. Here's my problem. When I first bought the house, the washer will drain, and I will see some soap bubbles coming up from the floor drain. I always thought that I...

View more questions Search