Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timmynorm1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 09:12 AM
    I replace the motherboard in my Dell Dimesion 2400
    My question is how do I know what motherboard I have and what upgrades can I do to my computer like update memory and the graphics. What kind of memory and what grapics card can I upgrade too.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 07:40 PM

Motherboards have some sort of identifying information printed on them, although decoding the information can sometimes be a challenge. Where did the replacement board come from? If a manufacturer cannot be discerned from the printed info, a software utility such as CPU-Z may identify the board.

If the original Dell board is still in the system, all the specs of the system are listed in the support section of Dell's website. There is a Dell service code on a sticker on the system that can be entered on the website to access all the information for this specific system.

Once the board is identified, visit the board manufacturer's website and download a manual. It will describe all the features and limits of the board as well as what type of memory and the memory arrangements the board supports. Most any graphics card that will physically plug into the board can be used, however other system factors, such as power supply wattage and available connectors, may need to be taken into consideration as well.

Dec 30, 2010, 07:42 AM
    Scleros I downloaded Belarc and this is my mother Board: Intel Corporation D845PECE AAC11812-103
    And this is also the graphics card I got in my computer. Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter]
    I don't know if this will help you let me know what I have. I was looking in a few other forums and I was looking at a MSI nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 VGA/DVI pci-e. Im just not sure if it will fit or what else I need to know before I spend a few dollars.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 03:03 PM

Take alook at your motherboard. What you're looking for is a PCIe slot.

After researching and looking at your motherboard I don't think yours supports PCIe Graphics Cards.

I could be wrong though. But from what I read and looked at, it cannot!

Dec 30, 2010, 10:58 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    Sorry ITstudent Im not sure what a PCIe slot is. I wish I could take a picture of it and email you or post it

Dec 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    I just read up on PCI slots. If I'm looking at the right thing it looks like I have 3 traditional PCI slots and 1 short PCIe x4 slot. The traditional Slots are white and the 1 short PCI that my current Card is plugged into is black and a little short
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 31, 2010, 12:48 PM

Isn't the new one you are looking at PCIe?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 31, 2010, 07:53 PM

Intel's D845PECE Technical Product Specification on page 15 does not show a PCI-E connector on this board. The short one at the edge of the board is a communications and networking riser (CNR). This board only supports PCI and AGP video adapters. Current video adapters suitable for meeting the technical requirements of today's 3D games are not produced in the AGP form factor, only PCI-E.

Intel Desktop Board D845PECE FAQs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to replace my motherboard, [ 1 Answers ]

what motherboard is compatible with a Athlon 64X2 Dual-Core Processor 6000

My front power button broke off my Dell Dimesion 8400 [ 1 Answers ]

When the butten broke, I tried to push the contact on the board but still no power. Do I need a new power board?? Can this be fixed?

Dell Laptop White Screen / Motherboard Part Number Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting a white screen with vertical lines filling the screen as soon as I power on my Dell Vostro 1310 laptop. I have an identical working laptop which I used to troubleshoot with by changing the following but to no avail: Memory Battery TFT screen TFT Inverter TFT Backlight TFT...

GE Side By Side.Motherboard or Replace Heater Kit [ 4 Answers ]

About a year after we bought or GE GSS20IBMBWW the fridge section went bad. The GE tech said it was a common problem and replaced something inside the freezer. The coils we frozen beyond belief. Now 4 years later, same thing. I took off the freezer panel and defrosted the coils with a hair...

View more questions Search