Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    munny9068 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 06:32 AM
    Voltage Question:
    I have a new Electrolux oven which among other things checks for incoming voltage. Specifically, it wants 240VAC and gives an error message if the voltage is outside a 7% +/- window. I had a Tech check ours which was aborting and he found that each leg of the power was measuring 122VAC but when both were tested together in the outlet, the reading was 212VAC which is outside the reuqired range. I don't understand this at all and want to know what, if anything, we can do to increase the voltage to the required amount. Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2010, 07:03 AM
    Initially, I find it odd that each leg is 122 volts to neutral, should be 244 across both legs, not the 212 volts measured.

There is nothing you personally can do, esp if you do not understand electrical.

Best I can offer is to call in a good service electrician to check your electrical system. He would start by checking voltage at the Main to determine if the proper voltage is being delivered by the Utility.

Then he can check various connections, to include inside the utility meter, panelboard, and the branch circuit for a reason for this condition.

With both legs giving 122 volts, there should be no problem with the 240 volts, as I said should be 244 volts.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 08:34 AM

munny9068, where are you located?

Some apartment buildings in NYC are 120/208v. 212v is certainly within the range of a 208v system.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2010, 08:45 AM
    Hmmm Good thought, Stan. I did not think of a 120/208 volt system in an apartment.
    munny9068 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 08:46 AM
    Thanks both of you for your answers. I called Dominion Resources[VA] and after bouncing around a bit, they wrote a workorder to come have our voltage checked. Our building is 35+ years old so the NYC reference made sense. Anyway, I tried the oven today and it worked just fine so I'm betting the 120/208 scenario was the thing. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Halogen - line voltage (120v) or low voltage (12v) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am renovating the kitchen and plan to install small halogen MR16 ceiling pot lights. Contrast and Lightolier have been recommended. At least, the Contrast line is available with either line or low voltage feeds. These questions come up as the plan calls for 9x35w MR16 (ceiling pot...

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

Low voltage or line voltage? [ 3 Answers ]

I have electric ceiling heat. How can I tell whether my thermostats are low voltage (24 volt) or line voltage (120 or 240 volt)?

Difference between supply voltage and input voltage? [ 2 Answers ]

Consider a Common Emitter amplier circuit, there'll be two inputs present in which one is applied at the base of the transistor and other at collector I want to know 1)what is difference between that two voltages ? 2)need to use both in the same circuit? ...

View more questions Search