Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zak_mi_us Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Alternatives to Sweat Soldering
    Basement bathroom install again. What are my alternatives to sweat soldering for the supply lines? I feel more confident in my ability to install a more mechanical connection. What is your recommendation, pros and cons of each?

1. Copper: Can I use compression fittings throughout instead of soldered connections? Are these as reliable as soldered connections?

2. PVC: I know I can do this, but what are the pros and cons?

3. Flxible Tubing: CPEX? Now able to carry hot and cold water because the tubing has more reinforcement that it used to? Connections can be compression fit or crimped? Able to be bent slightly around corners. So far I am leaning toward this option, but wanted theopinion of an expert.

4. Any other material ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I vote CPVC all the way. It's fast, easy and cheap... with really no cons. CPVC is far better in my opinion than compression fittings. I've seen too many compression fittings blow over the years.

#3 is fast and easy too, but expensive.

Hang tight, though. No doubt or resident Plumbing Expert will be along shortly.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Tom can give you the name of an epoxy product to use in place of soldered joints. I never see it at Lowe's or Home depot.

If you have a crimping tool, and perhaps training on its proper use PEX, cross linked polyethylene, may be the cheapest. Otherwise, the cheapest and easiest thing is PVC and CPVC for the hot. If you use the primer and the correct cement, they are as close idiot proof as anything. I made some changes in my original copper plumbing last summer and mostly used it with zero problems. I mostly used CPVC compression fitting to go from the existing copper to the plastic. They are cheap, about $2 for a 3/4'' at Lowe's. 3/4'' PVC is bigger than other 3/4'' pipe. Lowe's also has CPVC to PVC adapters. I also used a Shark Tooth tee in one spot, $10 at the plumbing supply. Slick. Just cut the pipe and slide it in. Push back a little plastic collar, and you can take it right out. You can use it with cooper, PEX, and CPVC. Ace Hardware also carries them. My local Lowe's had a better selection of fittings and lower prices than Home Depot.

Use ball valves for shut offs unless you want the appearance of the chromed 90 degree globe valves. They are easier to use and seldom leak either at the stems or through the valve when it is ''shut off''.

I didn't have any problems with the few soldered joints I used last summer, perhaps because I avoided doing any tees. Not always so in the past. I have had even worse luck with compression fittings that use brass ferrules. The plastic ones I mentioned above have nice rubber ones that seal the first time.

Jan 11, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Any comments on this speedball?

Jan 15, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Any comments Tom, I value your opinion as well.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2007, 07:55 AM
    You may use compression fittings but there's more chance for a compression fitting to develop a leak then a soldered joint plus compression fittings are more expensive.

2. PVC: I know I can do this, but what are the pros and cons?

I see PVC and CPVC as the coming thing. It will outlast copper and galvanized and is less costly then either one. Add to that the fact that it's easier to work with and you don't need special equipment or skills to install it makes plastic my recommendation.

3. Flxible Tubing: CPEX? Now able to carry hot and cold water because the tubing has more reinforcement that it used to? Connections can be compression fit or crimped? Able to be bent slightly around corners. So far I am leaning toward this option, but wanted theopinion of an expert.

While PEX has had its problems in the past, I understand they are all resolved now. Pex works on the manifold system and is the easiest to run the branches. It's between PVC and PEX in my book.

4. Any other material ideas?

What's left?

However if you wish a alterative to using heat to solder click on, Jackson Industries

Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Makari lightening lotion alternatives? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have been using makari for couple of months already. Although the result was amazing, I experienced severe breakout from it. Many have said that the caviar cream causes breakout. However, I think the lightening lotion actually broke me out more. Anyway, I haven't tried their...

Sweat smell [ 2 Answers ]

Sir, I am 30 year old bachelor. My height is 170 cm and my wieght is 79 kg.my problem is that my sweat is smelling very bad (underarms & inner thighs). I know I can reduce the bad smell underarms by using deodorant sprays. Can you please advise me what should i do for the inner thighs. I feel...

Alternatives to electric heat? [ 8 Answers ]

I am house searching and I've found the perfect property. *But* there is electric heat. I am in Massachusetts, and our heating season is just much too long to go through several months on electric heat($$) I was wondering... what do I do? I am interested in a corn stove, but I worry if we ever...

Lead Shower Pan Failure - Alternatives? [ 8 Answers ]

I have shower stall, which is 25 yo with a lead pan installed (saw it done). The pan appears to have developed a leak near the drain. I've dug out the grout in the vicinity of the drain, and if I pour a couple of oz of water there, it immediately leaks to the ceiling below (cut the drywall,...

Alternatives to bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

I don`t have enough debt to file for bankruptcy,only @ $500. Any alternatives?

View more questions Search