Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2007, 05:39 AM
    converting basement 36" sq shower to bathtub...
    Currently, I have a 36" sq shower in the basement and want to change it to a bathtub. It was put together poorly by the original owner and was molding. I didn't like the layout anyways so want to redo/redesign it. I'd like to put a bathtub in that location. I've attached a sketch of the layout. If possible, I wanted to put a tub that has about 2-3 inches of space between the floor and the "base" of the bathing area. This is hard for me to put in words, but what I want to do is keep the two existing plumbed items coming out of the ground (drain and vent), and run them along the concrete over to where they need to be. I'd need enough space between the concrete and the bottom of the tub. Does that make sense? Ideally, I don't want to sledgehammer the conrete, so will this work? Hopefully the image I've attached helps illustrate this. Thanks!

*edit... after looking around a bit, I couldn't find a tub that has more than about an inch of space between the base and the floor. As an alternative, would it be awkward to elevate the tub w/ some 2x3s? I can then put some tiling or something to cover the front of the tub. Complete awkward or been done before? Would the tub feel extra tall as a result?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Your sketch didn't come through. Try again. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing basement shower with bathtub.. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi guys. So, I need to replace a basement shower with a bathtub. I replaced tubs before, not that hard. However, I've never quite done this, and I'm concerned about the drain. Obviously, I'd like to move it a bit, maybe a foot or so. How hard is it to adapt what's there to a bathtub drain. ...

60" bathtub in a 60" space [ 5 Answers ]

11/07/05 Recently we (as a family) decided to upgrade our 60’s guest bathroom. We removed the 60” cast iron tub (in pieces) and removed the rest of the fixtures in the bathroom. A four (4) piece 60” tub enclosure was purchased to replace the old tub. The bathroom walls are concrete block with...

Installed new bathtub valve stems now "no cold water" [ 5 Answers ]

I have just replaced both hot and cold valve stems in bathtub. I did them exactly the same and now I can't get the cold water to come out. What can I try to do to fix this problem. Someone said I should have the valve open when installing? I am desperate and exhausted please help!! :(

Converting basement shower to sink [ 1 Answers ]

I built my house ten years ago and had rough ins done for a lav, stool and shower in the basement. The lav and stool have been hooked up for 2 years and work great. However, instead of installing a shower I want to install a kitchen sink with a garbage disposal and dishwasher. The existing stub...

60" bathtub in a 60" space [ 2 Answers ]

11/07/05 Recently we (as a family) decided to upgrade our 60’s guest bathroom. We removed the 60” cast iron tub (in pieces) and removed the rest of the fixtures in the bathroom. A four (4) piece 60” tub enclosure was purchased to replace the old tub. The bathroom walls are concrete block with...

View more questions Search